Homemade Gift: Picture Holder

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I blogged a ton of gifts before Christmas, thanks to the fact that I gave the gifts out early for one reason or another. I was able to do this without ruining too much of the surprise, but I also have a TON of gifts I made that I could not share until after Christmas. I guess I could save these for next year...assuming I don't run away and join the circus and give up this whole blogging thing, but....I won't.   I won't wait, that is, no promises on the whole circus thing. As soon as I get my act together, I'm so out of here. As far as the gift sharing, I'm just going to share them over the next few weeks....or months....I'm thinking once a week, or something routine-ish like that, maybe every February 29th, who knows. If you are like me, well, first of all, I'm sorry to hear that, but also, you are probably deep into your crafting for the upcoming year, and sharing can't hurt to get those juices flowing. Plus, I have to remind myself what I did, so I don't repeat. I used to TRY to keep a journal of gifts given so I wouldn't give the same ones in future years to friends....now I keep a blog. Enough on that....here is the gift I made for my cousin I travel with frequently.  I gave her this along with something else I'll share another time.
I've seen this clip up frame all over the net a few months back, BUT the idea for the map clothes pin, I got from this source here, and it made me want to throw the two together. Like I said, my cousin and I travel together a lot. We both love traveling, and so....I wanted to give her a way to add, and subtract, and add again...different pictures from our adventures.
Here's my supply list:

1/4 of a fence post (Home Depot cut this for free, and I've used it on three crafts now, with one more to go....best dollar I ever spent!), 4 clothes pins, Map Paper (I had some left over scrapbook paper, but you can also use a free map from brochures collected etc. I use free maps ALL the time for craft projects), Super Glue, Glue Stick, Blue Paint, Brown Paint, Paint Brush, Water, Paper Towel, Stamp Pad, Brown Ink, Picture Hanger, Hammer
My process:
1. I painted the board blue. I then took some brown paint and dabbed it onto a damp paper towel. I lightly brushed this across the blue board to make it look 'aged', and along the sides of the clothes pins.
2. I glued my paper down to the clothes pin's top, and trimmed the edges, and glued the back of the clothes pins evenly across the board with super glue.
3. I used an ink pad and stamped out the only word I could think of that fit the five spaces left by the clothes pins. I also rubbed the ink pad along the edges of the board to 'age it' a little more.
4. I added a hanger to the back, four pictures, and a cousin who likes traveling, and I had an easy gift that fits her well.

Linking To: 
Somewhat Simple Along for the Ride The Girl Creative Sew Can Do

9 comments

Anonymous said...

Great job Christy!!! I absolutely adore this!!! You could do it any way you wanted to match anything and yours is perfect!!!! Ooooh, I have to try this....thanks for the tutorial!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Craftcherry said...

Love this idea! I might have to make one for my son! It would be perfect for his art work!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Great idea, Christy, and a great gift. I love the color you painted it, and those map clothespins are awesome!

Deb said...

cool idea....so many posssibilities..

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I have the perfect wood in my garage for this project. Thanks for the idea!

Aimee said...

Following you from the sock hop! Come check me out at www.classifiedmom.com

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

How cool is this? I love it!

Thanks so much for dropping by the Be-Bop-A Blog Hop! I'm a follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon! Have a great day! :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Christy,
This is a super cute idea you have here. I would love to have you join me at my weekly party…it’s NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS…hope to see ya there:)

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

very cute idea..