Fresh Cupcake Kitchen Sign

Friday, February 18, 2011
I was messing around on the net one evening, and I came across this blog, Miss Mustard Seed.  I started exploring her house, and I fell in love with a sign in her dining room, it spoke to me. 
I went down to Goodwill on the hunt for a frame I could spray black, and frost the glass. 
I paid too much for the this frame considering there wasn't a back, but it was already black, and the proceeds go to the Goodwill, so, fine.  There is some irony in buying these empty frames b/c once upon a time I would have thrown away frames that didn't have all their pieces, and I can't even count the number I've donated through the years when I was 'finished' with them. 
I used my cricut to cut out my life long kitchen mission:  fresh cupcakes.
I ran the letters through this xerox machine.  They make the back sides of things sticky, but they can be repositioned pretty easy on paper, and relatively easy on glass. 
I had to do a lot of repositioning. 
In the past, I've used a bottle of etching paint, but I finally decided to try the spray paint kind.  I found this can of Krylon glass frosting at Michael's....it's 101% better than the painted kind, no strange streaks! 
I sprayed, dried, and then pealed away my letters.
I used a wet qtip to wipe away any sticky residue.
I then set it in the frame, and ran hot glue along the edges to hold it in place. 
It looks the best when hanging so light can shine through, but for now....it's hanging on my wall, I'll move it eventually, it just needs the perfect hanging ribbon, and you just can't rush decisions this important. 



29 comments

Anonymous said...

That's adorable Christy, love it!! You did a great job and your whole wall there is adorable!!! :)

Lori said...

Perfect! Hope the party at school went well.

Anji* said...

I love that sign Christy! Mmmm fresh cupcakes, you can't say better than that :)

Anji* said...

Oh and Christy - I tried to email you but you're not accessible via email - just wanted to say thank you for your super sweet comment on cyan's valentines and also you're entered in my giveaway (it's open to all) and I make the dino crayons. That's all! :)

malia said...

Great tute Miss Christy and I never even considered that you could frost glass... awesome idea my friend!
xo malia

Kansas Amy said...

That's a great sign and now I am craving cupcakes! I too donated many frames over the years, If only I would have known I would be buying back someone else's!

Deb said...

you have such cool ideas....

Pamma said...

Love it. Cute typography, too!
Thanks for sharing.
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I think it looks fantastic on the wall. Especially under that awesome Hostess sign! Great job!

Kate B. said...

I LOVE your sign!! I am going to have to give this project a try!! I'm a new follower from I {heart} naptime!

Kate
www.bloemersfamily.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Oh yea, cupcakes talk to me too! Lovin' your new sign:@)

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Wonderful job on your sign. I had never heard of the spray frost. Will have to give that a try. Your whole wall display is wonderful. I love the hostess cupcake tin sign. ~~Sherry~~

A Vintage Vine said...

Great job! I need to try that spray frost!

Lynn said...

Love this!! I am marking this on my to do list!!! Love your vintage hostess cupcake sign as well! Thanks for sharing! Found you via Just something I whipped up at the girl creative!

nancybabb said...

CUTE! CUTE! Running out to get the paint now!
Just a thought....it may have made life easier if you would have printed your phrase out the way you wanted it on paper and put that under the glass as a pattern...then you wouldn't have needed to reposition so much.
THANKS AGAIN for the idea! I LOVE IT!

Humble Homemaker said...

This is very cute! Great job. :)
http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

A great project...I love it...where will it hang???

Stacey said...

SUCH a cute idea! I'm going to have to bookmark this!

By the Bluegrass said...

Just wonderful! I am a goodwill hunter too!
xo,
Sena

Randee Erickson said...

I'm going to try that. Really cute!

Katherine said...

Love the frosed look- awesome! Looks great on the wall & I love that hostess sign too! Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Good Stuff!! Need I say more?? :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

SAS Interiors said...

Your project is great and would love for you to link up to my Saturday Spotlight Linky Party @ SAS Interiors. Check it out this Saturday: http://www.sasinteriors.net/features/

Best,
Jenna, SAS Interiors

SAS Interiors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

aww this is so cute!! thanks so much for linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings!

Unknown said...

Love this sign! Very cute! (and I have that same Hostess Cupcake sign. I used it for decor around Valentine's Day)

Kyla Armstrong said...

Eek! I love it! I found you through a linky party. My readers would love this. I would love if you came and linked up to TOO Cute Tuesday!

http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/02/too-cute-tuesday-linky-par-tay-19.html

Christy said...

@ Thoughtfully Blended: For now, the only space I have is my wall! It looks best with the window and the light going through it, but my curtains are too low...someday I'll change those and add a chain for hanging. :O)

DIY Party Mom said...

Can I tell you how much I LOVE this sign? I totally covet it! I have had such a cupcake fetish lately and would love to change my kitchen theme to cupcakes just so I can use this sign.

I'd love it if you would like this project on our new Party themed blog link party here: http://kimskandykreations.blogspot.com/2011/02/shindig-saturday-party-blog-hop.html