Scandinavian Potato Cakes

Saturday, February 26, 2011
Last summer I went to Door County, Wisconsin, and I enjoyed the world of Scandinavian goodness.  I bought a little recipe book at a Goat Topped Restaurant (yes, real goats grazing on the roof while you ate, read all about it here).  Fast forward, and I overheard my aunt reminding my Mom of some potato cakes their Mom used to make that were really good, and I just so happened to have seen, and passed over a recipe that sounded suspiciously similiar from that little cook book.  I made one little adaptation, but these are really good, and completely unhealthy, so.....right in line with everything else in my recipe book. 
Potato Cake Recipe
Ingredients:  1/4 lb bacon, 4 large potatoes, 1 T. milk, 1 egg, 1/2 t. garlic salt (it actually called for allspice instead of this, but I adapted it to my taste), salt and pepper to taste, 1 small onion, minced. 
Instructions:
1.  Boil, peel, and mash potatoes.  Add milk, egg, and seasonings to mix.  Blend well.
2.  Cook the bacon, drain and crumble into the mashed potato mix (reserve the grease). 
3.  Form potatoes into patties, and place in heated bacon grease. 
Cook until browned on both sides. 
Next time, I'll make my patties a little smaller b/c the browned part was my favorite.  These were sort of hashbrownish, and all good.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Real goats grazing on the roof? How cool is that? I HAVE to go and check that out. ;) I am so glad you posted this recipe. Funny, I was just thinking about these. My mom used to make them for breakfast with left over mashed potatoes and there was no recipe, she just did it. Yay now I can enjoy them again!!! Awesome, thank you!!