Broccoli Crunch Salad

Monday, March 14, 2011
There are now two ways I like brocolli-smothered with cheese and mixed with rice, OR tossed with bacon, raisins, and nuts.  My Mom's friend, Shirley, at worked shared this salad, and ultimately, this recipe with her, and I had to try it out b/c I really liked it!  I was describing this salad to my cousin-in-law later who does like broccoli, and she didn't trust me on it's 'goodness' until she tried it.  She now agrees.  It's so good, and I actually get a few greens down....who knew.  I say the green cancels out all the white 'stuff'....dairy, protein, vegetables, fruits....all the best off the food pyramid, right?  Thanks again for the recipe, Shirley, and for letting me pass along the goodness! 
Broccoli Crunch Salad
Salad Ingredients: 
Mix 1 medium head of brocolli (cut into florets), 1 med red onion (chopped, not minced), 1 c. honey roasted cashews (I used peanuts), 1 1/2 c. fried, drained, crumbled bacon, 1/2 c. dried currants (I used raisins).
Salad Dressing:
Mix 1/4 c. miracle whip, 1/3 c. sour cream, 2 T. apple cider vinegar, 2 T. milk, 2 T. sugar
-Add dressing a little at a time, I only ended up using about 2/3 of the amount it called for b/c it's the flavor I was going for.
I put together the salad the night before I served this, and then added the dressing a few hours before I served it.  I don't think this is necessary, but it kept the peanut left overs crunchy for several days. 

2 comments

Erin said...

A gal at my work introduced me to this salad and I LOVE it! I can seriously eat the entire bowl all by myself! Thanks for the reminder!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I like broccoli & this sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.
CAS