Crockpot: 20 Clove Garlic Chicken

Sunday, March 27, 2011
     I love making list. 
     The prime list making time is New Year's....I'll make 15 list the day before, and 27 the day after...and the day after that...and the day after that, BUT I write my "New Year's To Do List" in a special little binder, and I keep them year after year, and they are usually list items that span a longer amount of time....say, a year?!
      There are big things that will take the whole year to accomplish, and little things, case in point.  This year I decided I wanted to cook at least 10 new crockpot meals.  Had this experiment been a good thing, perhaps I would have posted a week of recipes you can throw in the crockpot, but what I'm learning is....it's really...REALLY hard to find meals that actually taste good from a crockpot, AND it would have been smarter to start this in the summer because when I made most of my meals, it was snowy, and cold, and January, and I actually WANT to pop the oven on when it's like that outside.  Summer is when I don't even want to turn lights on in a room for fear the light will give off additional heat to accompany the 100++...+ weather outside beating down my doors, and infiltrating my house. 
    Regardless of all thos other failed recipes (that need a separate blog), this one worked.  I was actually a little nervous because I do heart garlic, but when I came home, the smell was a little overpowering in my house, the taste, on the other hand, was just right. 
   I found this recipe at 356DaysofSlowCooking.  Here's the recipe typed up (I halved it when I made it since I'm a party of one).
20 Clove Garlic Chicken
Ingredients:  3-4 lbs chicken (I used boneless, she used bone-in), 1 large onion (sliced), 1 T. olive oil, 2 t. kosher salt, 2 t. paprika, 1 t. pepper, 20-40 cloves of garlic (peeled, but left whole). 
Instructions
1.  Place onions on bottom. 
2.  Toss chicken with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper and garlic.  Put on top of onions (don't add any water). 
3.  Cook, 6-8 hours on low (4-6 on high). 

3 comments

Peggy said...

Mmm...I love this recipe (I think we talked about our shared love of 'A Year Of Slow Cooking' before...lol) but I do it with 40 cloves (we looove our garlic!) & chicken breasts. Sooo yummy!!

Peggy said...

So, I just realized it was my blog post of this same recipe that we talked...! How funny! :o)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Holy smokes, that's a lot of garlic. I bet it's delicious, though. We are a garlic friendly home:)