Lent: Prayer Pretzels

Tuesday, March 08, 2011
I know pretzels are sort of the 'lent' food.  This is a little history I found about 'the Lenten pretzels.'  Due to dietary restrictions the recipe that originally created these met all those criterias, and the shape is a traditional arm's prayer stance.  I figured today was the day to try out this recipe I found at Gooseberry Patch for the 'best' pretzels ever, and I've been wanting to try out my own version after my trip to Germany...not that I haven't had pretzels MANY times before...or after my trip, but I never thought about making my own until I went on a quest to mimic foods I ate in Europe.  This recipe is really easy, and really delicious.  I don't have my 'arm fold' quite up to par, but I made smaller pretzels, so I'm blaming this on my twisting technique.  They taste great any way you twist it! 
Soft Pretezel Recipe:
Ingredients: 
1 envelope of active dry yeast, 1 1/2 c. warm water (110 degrees-I used milk), 1 T. sugar, 2 t. salt, 4 c. flour, 1 egg yolk, 1 T. water, 1/4 c. kosher salt. 
Instructions: 
1.  Mix yeast with water. 
2.  Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
3.  Add flour, mix well.  Turn on floured surface.  Knead 5 minutes. 
4.  Divde in to 16 pieces, and roll each out like a fat worm.  Twist twice.

5.  Fold the loose ends back.  Place on a greased baking sheet.

6.  Brush with egg wash/water mix, and sprinkle with kosher salt (you can also make sweet pretzels by sprinkling these with cinnamon/sugar). 
7.  Bake at 425 for 25-20 minutes, until golden.

4 comments

restlessrisa said...

These look so good. My friend brought me pretzel rolls that she bought after I had my baby, and they were the BEST! I am so glad to see a recipe! Thank you!

<3

Risa

www.restlessrisa.blogspot.com

Carpenter's said...

These look delicious! I found a deli that makes pretzel sandwiches, best ever! :)

Erin said...

Yum! I've never made pretzels before but I'm seeing them everywhere right now. I'd better get on the ball! They look so delicious!

malia said...

dang i love pretzels-- these looks great