Mardi Gras: Crepes

Monday, March 07, 2011
I've wanted to try my hand at making crepes since I was introduced to these in Paris.  I understand there are a lot of ways to fill a crepe, but THE appropriate way is to slather them with nutella, bananas, and a sprinkling of powdered sugar...or, if you aren't snowed in for the fourth day and you can actually make it to the store-try whipped cream. 
What I didn't know is how easy these actually are to make. 
I found this book on vacation last summer.  I love cookbooks, and I've started collecting these from the places I visit, sometimes I look for church cookbooks in local antique stores, sometimes I buy them at the visitors center (in this case).  I still collect ornaments as well, but I think a cookbook says a lot about a place.  This cookbook comes from (The Bridges of) Madison County
The contributor said that crepes are a traditional breakfast on Fat Tuesday.  In years gone by Lent meant no eggs, fat, meat or dairy products (my how times have changed) and so houses tried to get rid of their 'extras' on fat Tuesday via pancakes, or in this case, the French pancake=the crepe. 
Crepe Recipe
*makes 20
Mix:  4 eggs, 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 t. salt, 1 T. melted butter, 2 t. sugar, 1 t. vanilla. 
Heat a non-stick skillet  on medium heat (I played around with butter, it's not necessary).  Add just enough batter to fill the bottom of the pan (less than 1/4 of a cup, these are really thin).  Tilt the pan until the bottom is completely covered with batter. 
The sides will start to curl up with a minute or two.  Flip.
Add your favorite toppings. 
Roll, and enjoy.  The good news is, I'm not Catholic, I just play one on my blog when the mood strikes, so I can enjoy these tomorrow...and the next day, and the next day....and the next day.  I am, however, Baptist, so you can fill in the blanks for all the things I won't be indulging in as I eat my crepe. 

3 comments

Erin Maree said...

I am baptist too :D My dad is actually a baptist pastor :) I have been reading your blog for a while and love it! I live in perth, australia, so I can't get alot of the ingreadients you have in the us, but love your craft ideas :) I would love it, if you could post some simple yet cute easter crafts that I could do with my younger sisters :) one of whom has Downs syndrome. keep up the good work :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Mmmm... you had me at Nutella. Looks fab, Christy!

L!ND$EY said...

Hush puppies, crepes, Nutella....you're singing my song loud and clear! I can't wait to try out these recipes.