Cinco de Mayo: Churros

Thursday, April 28, 2011
Pardon my Cinnamon Dust, the pictures, and the 'pastry chef' didn't do this dessert justice.  I found this GREAT recipe for churros here.  I tried to fry these up in a small pan, which made squeezing the pastry through the piping bag a little difficult, and my churros were less than straight, but they sure were yummy.  Note to self:  Use the extra oil, and do this in a wider skillet next time around....and there WILL be a next time.  I may have been a LITTLE overzealous in my sugar/cinnamon dusting, but I WILL do that again as well. 
Ingredients:  vegetable oil (enough to fill a skillet), 1 c. water, 1/2 c. butter, 1 c. flour, 3 eggs, 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon. 
Instructions:  Heat water, butter, and salt in a pan, bring to a boil.  Add flour, and stir continuously until a ball of dough forms.  Remove from heat, and add 3 (beaten) eggs.  Place in pastry bag. With a large tip.   

Heat your oil (I had my stove set to medium), and squeeze strips into the pan.  Fry for about two minutes. Flip.  Fry another two minutes.  Drain and toss in cinnamon sugar mix.  This made about 24 churros.  Next time I'm going to make churro 'bites' b/c making a churro 4 inches didn't go well with my current piping skills....or lack there of, but the taste it out of this world! 

6 comments

tt.scraps said...

YUMMMY!!!! My son loves these...(who doesn't!) I'll have to give these a try!
:)

Unknown said...

New follower here, wanted to say "hello" and umm those look awesome! Something about doughy goodness and sugar gets me every time. :)

Erin said...

I love churros! And what's wrong with the amount of cinnamon and sugar??? That's exactly what I would have done too. Can't have too much of that goodness! They look delicious! Good job!

Unknown said...

looks great to me, I love churros

The Daily Smash said...

How fun making churros at home. And it looks so simple thanks for sharing.

Ashley

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

LOVE churros. I've got a churro story... a seagull swooped down and grabbed mine right out of my hand while I was walking around Busch Gardens. I wasn't very happy.