Cinco de Mayo: Churro Cupcakes

Friday, April 29, 2011
I was trying to decide what cupcake to make in honor of Cinco de Mayo...and I decide a churro cupcake sounded delicious.  I googled it, and figured I could find a recipe, and I did....here.  These are certainly a conversation piece. 
Churro Cupcake Recipe
*Makes 22
Ingredients for the Cupcake: 
3 c. cake flour (sifted and then measured), 2 1/2 t. baking powder, 1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. salt, 11 T unsalted butter, 1 /2 c. packed brown sugar, 2 eggs (room temp), 2 t. vanilla, 1 1/4 c. milk (room temp)
Instructions: 
Mix all ingredients, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes, and then fill. 
*You can also use a yellow cake mix, make as usual, and add cinnamon. 
Dulce de Leche Filling for Cupcakes:
I used my 'caramel making instructions here' from a few years back.  It's sooooo easy, and delicious! 
I carved out a funnel, and filled with caramel.
Swiss Meringue Icing Recipe: 
Ingredients: 
5 large egg whites, 1 c. granulated sugar, pinch of salt, 4 sticks of unsalted butter, 3 t. vanilla. 
Instructions:
1.  Fill glass bowl with whites, sugar, salt.  Set over simmering water (don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl or the eggs wll cook).  Whisk until sugar dissolves, and thermometer reads 160 degrees. 
2.  Remove bowl from heat, and beat with mixer with whisk attachment until luy and glossy, and the bottom of the bowl feels cool to the touch. 
3.  Switch to paddle and mix at medium.  Add butter 2 T. at a time.  mix well, add vanilla and beat on high until smooth. 
I used this tip to 'ruffle on some icing.' 
And then I sprinkled the whole thing with cinnamon/sugar mix. 

5 comments

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

The frosting looks SO good on these.

Connie the crafterbug said...

OK so I has to stop by your blog because when you say churrp and cupcake together it has to be good. Yummo!
Connie

Erin said...

I seriously need about 4 of these right now!!! They look delish!!!

Stitches said...

all I can say is OMG!!! I am so making these! That is just so fantastic.

Littlesmash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.