Cinco De Mayo: Easy Empanadas

Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I'm a member of the Empanada Fan Club.  In particular, Empanadas from On the Border.  Once upon a time, a parent brought my teaching team some homemade empanadas.  She definitely ranks amongst my favorite parents of all times, my affection can be bought.  On the Border fries their Empanadas, so....I'm sure if I had tossed these in the fryer they'd be even better, but these were good, and REALLY easy to make, considering the labor intensiveness of most empanadas I ran across in my search for a good recipe.  This is a combination of a bunch of recipes. 
Ingredients:  Med Onion, 1 Clove of Garlic, 1 Lb of Ground Beef, Taco Seasoning Package, Water (amount listed on the back of the package), 1 14 oz can of corn-drained, 1/2 c. cheese, 3 cans of buttermilk biscuits, queso
Instructions: 
Basically, I cooked a medium onion, and a clove of garlic in 2 T. of butter, once they were soft, I added a pound of ground beef, cooked until browned, drained, and added a taco seasoning package, and the water it called for on the back of the package.  I added a drained can of corn.  I might toss in a tomato (salsa?) or some additional seasoning next time, for fun. 
A lot of recipes have homemade dough, but I ran across this idea that was just too easy to reject.  I flattened out some buttermilk biscuits, and added a little filling. 
Fold over and crimp down (press firmly or it will seap out). 
This easily makes 30, which gets a little boring, I'm going to try freezing some next time, and maybe popping some directly from the freezer into frying oil. 
I baked at 375 for 10 minutes (until brown).  Then I added some cheese.  If I believed in sharing, I would have left this on the side for dipping.  I'm going to explore the concept of 'sharing' in my 40's. 
T

2 comments

Erin said...

Oh my heck! I would like about 4 of these right now please!!! YUM!

Unknown said...

those looks awesome, I would love to bite right on in.