Cinco de Mayo: Taco Soup

Monday, April 25, 2011
The best thing about the crockpot and May is that it won't heat up your house.  Sure, soup seems like a winter food, but I think it's fair to say-taco soup is a year 'round dish.  When spring comes, it's patio time at all the Mexican restaurants in my hometown, so even though it's hearty, Mexican=May and everything after for me. 
This is a Taco Soup recipe I got from Laine, and I really liked it.  I made one change (I substituded a can of pinto beans for a can of corn), but otherwise, it was true to form, and truly yummy. 
Taco Soup Recipe
1.  Combine 1 lb of hamburger meat, and 1 chopped onion in a skillet.  Brown, drain, and then add 1 package of taco seasoning. 
I did not add the water the package usually calls for.  I just mixed it, and added it too...
2.  1 can of pinto beans, 1 can of corn, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of stewed tomatoes (chopped), 1 can of rotel, 1 pkg of ranch dressing packaged mix, 1 can of chopped green chilies, 1 c. medium picante sauce.  Do not drain any of the juices, just add those right along with all the fixings...this makes is soup. 
3.  You can cook these together for 45 minutes on high, or turn the crockpot on low for a few hours.  I actually tossed the crockpot in the fridge at this point, and then put it out the next morning on low, so it was ready to go when I got home from work.  Anything with spices is always better day 2...or 3....or that's what I tell myself, and I tend to believe what I tell myself. 
4.  Serve with cornbread, OR if you are really feeling wild, toss this over fritoes, and top with cheese and sour cream.

4 comments

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

HELLO! This looks like exactly what I've been craving lately! Thanks for the recipe :)

Sarah

Unknown said...

One of my favorite falvors for a soup, nice !

Deb said...

sounds yummy....

malia said...

cinco de mayo can never start early enough! this looks delish miss christy!