Hummingbird Cupcakes

Thursday, June 30, 2011
 I made these for Easter, and they were de-licious.  I thought they'd also be a cute cupcake to share for Mother's Day....and then a few months later, I finally got around to posting!  Regardless, these are probably one of the tasties cupcakes I've ever accidentally made.  Accidentally because I ended up totally altering the fruite combos inside these cakes, but it was so good, I'd be afraid to try it any other way. 
Hummingbird Cupcake Ingredients
Mix 3 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. salt, 1 1/2 c. veg oil, 3 eggs, 20 oz can of crushed (drained) pineapples, 2 mashed (very ripe) bananas, 1 c. chopped walnuts. 
*you can add just 8 oz of pineapple, and 2 c. of bananas as the original recipe from all recipes called for, but the extra pineapple made this really moist, and it also yielded 36 full cupcakes instead of 24. 
Bake at 350 for 18 minutes.  (If you choose to make a cake, it takes two round pans, and the baking time is closer to an hour). 
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat 4 oz butter, 4 oz of cream cheese, 2 c. powder sugar, 1 t. vanilla. 
I iced the cupcakes, piling up more on the edges, and leaving a smoother center.  Reserve about 1/2 c.

Next I toasted up some flaked coconut.  I spread out a thin layer on a pan. 
I put it in the 350 oven for about 5 minutes, but I did stir it around about half way through, the edges browned quickest. 


I dipped the cupcakes.  :Pause:  Have you ever smelled baking coconut flakes?  If so, can you bottle this scent up and send it to me....or send me a few thousands pounds of flakes so I can smell it forever?:
As for the birds, I saw this idea on Martha Stewart, the Granddiva of many a cute idea.   Dye your remaining cream cheese icing blue and orange.  I just snipped a quarter inch of the corner of a ziplock and piped on my birds.  I repeated with a much smaller snip for the beaks, and then I melted chocolate and dabbed on eyes with a toothpick. 
 I took a strange picture of a cluster of birds with an orange glow. 
I pulled out my favorite elastic shorts...and got down to hummingbird eating business.  Think suped up banana bread. 

Linking To:  Crafty Soiree Paisley Passions Tatortots and Jello Funky Junk Sweets for Saturday

4 comments

Lori said...

I love that cake. I made one only a couple times, lots of work. I found my recipe in Southern LIving. Love the birds. Great "Martha" moment for you!

Unknown said...

Pineapple is the best. What a delicious looking cupcake. Hummingbird cake is a very traditional Southern dish. My grandmother has an amazing recipe that we all look for on the Easter dessert table.
hdmi cable

keri @ shaken together said...

These are adorable and look delish!! I'd LOVE it if you would come share these at our Month Long Cupcake Party!

http://shakentogether.blogspot.com/2011/07/were-declaring-july-cupcake-month-and.html

Happy weekend!
keri

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

These are too cute, Christy! How adorable!!!