Monday, July 04, 2011

Patriotic Measures

 ...and while I'm falling off the burlap pillow cliff everyone else leaped from a year ago, I'm folding one of those little star thingies that have been at every other antique store I've visited.  It was time.  I found one a few weeks ago at a scrapbook store for 20 dollars.  That's about the price all these little do dads cost when I've looked (darn big city antiquing traps opportunities!).  I wanted one of these rulers so badly so I could do the above project, I've been eyeing these for the last two years or so, and then I remembered, I haven't checked old faithful for these little foldable rulers, AKA Ebay.  Guess what, I bid on a lot of four and won.  Apparently, I'm the only one left in need of these rulers.  All four were less than the cost of that one (maybe she was charging b/c she had already done the star folding, it did take me about three seconds).  I don't know why I love these but I guess I don't have to explain my love here, but I do have three more I can spend time with if the feelings bubble up again.  We used to have a ruler like this when I was growing up. 
 I'm sure my Mom sold it in a garage sale.  I've been buying back my childhood over the last two years-she sold in garage sales years ago.  I played with that ruler a lot.  I don't think I ever formed a star, many other shapes, but no star.  There is a little extra ruler left over on this guy (I don't know if they are all the same length?). 

I added a bow. You can't call it a wreath until you add a bow, it's a rule...Net tulle (new discover yesterday-net, bigger holes, stiffer, makes great bows) and raffia (old addiction, raffia and I go way back).  Next year maybe I'll get a little patriotic mantel going....this year I'm doing good just to have added the bow before the fourth.

Linking To:  Between Naps on the Porch, DIY Home Sassy Sites Topsy Turvy Tatortots and Jello Funky Junk Be Different Act Normal


Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said... cute! Lovely DIY!Thanks for sharing this great idea:)
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Happy Forth of July:)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very cute!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love it! I have a thing for stars :)

Sam Findlay said...

Cute! I love stars!

Terry said...

I can remember as a child that my dad had one of these and I would play with it all the time. I love the star design and now I want one. Thanks

Jamie said...

I saw one of those rulers at a swap meet last weekend. I almost grabbed it but changed my mind. Now I wish I had. Thank you for linking up at I can not wait to see more great ideas next Monday.

junkermidge said...

I love those folding rulers too -- there's just something so fun about them! Love how you formed it into a star for a patriotic wreath.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I love these rulers, too. I'm so glad you got yours and made this cool wreath.

Beth said...

Found your link at Funky Junk blog. I had needed one of these folding rulers too & found one at my next door neighbor's garage sale for 50 cents! I know I'll have enough left over to make one of these stars too! I might just go see if he has any left, there were half a dozen there.