Seasonal Handprint Quilt

Tuesday, July 26, 2011
 I didn't make this, my friend Jolene did.  I took a picture of it because someday...I want to make this!  She had her grand kids press their hands in a series of styles to create a square for each season.  She made one for herself, and one for their mama. 
 She used some textile paint to make the quilt washable and the handprints permanant, and then she added details to each square, and seasonal boarders. 
 Mittens for January (she wrote the name and age of the kiddo by each print).  Hearts for Valentine's Day, March=a kite hand, April an Easter basket made with hands, May is a flower, June a fish, July a lady bug, August a sun, September an apple, October a pumpkin, November a turkey and December a tree. 
She framed each painted hand square with two season fabrics and then sewed them all together with black fabric. 
I love quilts, but this has got to be one of my favorites!  

10 comments

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That is a fabulous idea. When I taught kindergarten, I always did seasonal and theme handprint art with the kids in my class. Handprint Santa was always one of my favorites. Have a good day. Tammy

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Absolutely incredible idea! This is definitely on my list of "to do" projects now.

Bellenza Wedding Bistro said...

I actually got a bit misty-eyed reading this post and seeing the sweet quilt details. Such a priceless family heirloom!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is an adorable idea. Really sweet. Thanks for sharing this, Christy :)

Deb said...

too too cute....

Jenn said...

So sweet! I am a huge fan of handprint projects! If you get a chance I would love for you to link this up at my new link party, The Creative Spark.
Jenn :)
http://www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

My mom and I made these prints for my house as well. We bought the book from Amazon and instead of making a quilt, I made wall hangings and change it out each month! It's a little sad to see take one down but will be fun to see for years to come when I change the prints! We still quilted them and they are adorable!

Amanda said...

Beautiful! I love the seaweed :)

Amanda
http://funhandprintart.blogspot.com

Erica said...

So cute! What a fab idea!

1 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Kathryn said...

Super cool idea! Thanks for sharing it with us:)