Cupcakes: Hostess Ice Cream Cupcakes

Saturday, September 24, 2011

 I love everything Hostess Cupcake.  I've made homemade Hostess Cupcakes before, which I blogged about here.  I've made cake ball Hostess Cupcakes...which I blogged about here.  Now....Ice Cream Hostess Cupcakes.  I saw this idea for Marshmallow Ice Cream, and I knew this would be the perfect home for this creation. 
First, the recipe for Marshmallow Ice Cream: 
Ingredients:  2 C half and half, 1 10-oz. bag large marshmallows, 2 C. heavy cream,  2 T. vanilla
Instructions:  In a pan, combine half and half with marshmallows. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly until marshmallows have completely melted.
Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Place in fridge for 20-30 more minutes, until chilled and slightly thickened.
While mix is cooling down, whip heavy cream until you have soft peaks. Fold into cool marshmallow mix and add vanilla. Stir until everything is combined. Place in ice cream maker and follow machine's directions for making ice cream. 
This is a very light ice cream, but it went well in between these rich layers. 
After my ice cream was ready I accembled my cakes. 
I baked chocolate cupcakes, not filling the liners full.  Once they were chilled, I squished it all down into the bottom to make it an even thicker base. 
 I used a plastic molded cupcake liner.  I added some ice cream. 
Then I melted chocolate (at 30 second intervals).  I poured this on top of the whole thing.  I piped on the traditional swirls with white chocolate. 
This makes about 24 cupcakes. 

2 comments

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Yum! That's amazing!

Jules said...

yummy!!!!! May have to try that this weekend. Thanks for sharing! DELISH.