Taco Cornbread Casserole

Friday, October 28, 2011
 I saw this recipe a few weeks ago on Debbie's Blog here.  It sounded like the perfect meal to say, 'hello' to fall....and I was right.  This is one of my favorite recipe finds in a long time.  It's really easy to throw together, heats up well the next day, and is delicious any day you decide to consume it! 
Taco Cornbread Casserole Ingredients: 
8 oz corn bread mix, 1 egg, 1/3 c. milk, 3 c. cooked taco seasoned meat (follow directions on taco seasoning package, and I used about 1 lb of meat), 1 can black beans (I skipped this), 8 oz c. sour cream, 1 c. colby jack (shredded and divided), 1/2 c. onions (chopped), 1 med tomato (chopped), 1 c. lettuce (shredded), sliced olived (optional, I skipped this too). 
Taco Cornbread Casserole Instructions:
1.  Mix the cornbread, milk and egg.  Place in an 8x8 inch pan (sprayed with cooking spray), bake at 350 for 15 minutes. 
 2.  While bread is cooking, cook meat.  AFTER the meat is cooked, drain and add drained beans to meat at this point (again, I skipped the beans).  Pour meat and beans over cooked cornbread. 
 3.  Mix sour cream, 3/4 c. cheese, and chopped onions.  Spread over meat mix. 
 4.  Bake 20-25 minutes (until cheese is melted). 
 5.  Sprinkle with lettuce, tomatoes, 1/4 c. cheese, and olives (or not...in my case). 
*This serves 6 and is about 530 calories per serving. 

1 comment

TeenaBugg38 said...

Oh man......this looks good!! You are not helping my waistline but still...YUM!!! I think my kiddos might actually eat this one so I am saving it for a trail run soon!! Thanks for sharing it!!