Carrot Sugar Cookies

Monday, March 19, 2012
 I made some mini carrot cookies this weekend for some Easter goodies I'm putting together.  I used my very favorite sugar cookie recipes compliments of my pal, Kristin.  She shared this with a group of us, and I heart it BIG TIME.  It REALLY holds its shape well.  You can freeze the dough for several months.
 Or roll it out, cut and bake your cookies. 
 And freeze them for a month or more....
 Perfect for Christmas cooking, or in this case, I made some mini eggs that will get a new home in a few weeks....just not THIS week. 
 These also hold together for a week+++once you ice them. 
 My friend taught us to add clear karo syrup (1 T per cup of icing) and it will harden within about 8 hours.  This allows you to bag up your cookies so the icing does not smear. 
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Ingredients for the Cookies: 2/3 c. shortening, 4 t. milk, 1 t. vanilla, 1 1/2 t. baking powder, 3/4 c. sugar, 1 egg, 2 c. flour, 1/4 t. salt. 
Cookie Instructions:  Mix shortening and sugar with a mixer.  Add milk, vanilla, egg, and blend.  Gradually add the remainder of dry ingredients until the mix forms a soft dough.  More flour may be required to roll out the dough.  Chill, roll out, and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  These don't brown, they just shouldn't look wet. 
Ingredients for the Icing:  2 lbs of powdered sugar, 1/2 c. water, 2 t. almond flavor, 1/2 t. salt, 3/4 c. crisco, 2 t. vanilla, 2 t. imitation butter, 2 T. clear karo syrup. 
Icing Instructions:  Combine all ingredients and beat with a mixer until smooth and creamy.  Ice cookies, allow to dry in the air for about 8 hours until the icing is firm to the touch. 

3 comments

Three Birds Inspired said...

I have been looking for a good sugar cookie to make Easter egg cookies that I could ice for my grandchildren. Thanks for the recipe and the info about Karo syrup! May I Pin?

Erin said...

These are so darn cute! I'm totally going to have to try your icing recipe! (If you need a place for those mini egg cookies, I'll send you my address!) =o)

S and family said...

These are so cute! I love that small carrot cookie cutter. I have a large carrot cutter, but now I have to hunt down a little one-adorable!!!