Decorating the Outside AND Inside of an Egg

Friday, April 06, 2012
 Happy, Good Friday!  And happy I am because a few thousand years ago a story began on a day just like today that seemed hopeless and dark, but three days later, and a few thousand years later, that story had a Happy Ending!  I'm looking forward to remembering that Easter Morning on Sunday, and the Risen King, and I'm grateful today that God so loved the world, He gave His Only Son for me.  For you.  John 3:16! 
One way I'm celebrating Easter is sharing a few of my traditions.  This Good Friday, I'm headed to Good Morning, Texas  to decorate eggs for beginners, intermediate, and advance egg dyers.  I can't say that I'm necessarily advanced, but I can say I've had a lot of years of experience.  Regardless of my age, relationship status, or the current phase of the moon....eggs and I have always gotten along, especially when it comes to bedazzling an egg or 4,567 for an Easter table. 
For beginners I'm sharing a few tips.  For instance, if you get dye all over you hands, which I did while getting ready for this segment, you can use a Mr. Clean Eraser to remove the dye (thanks, Sarah, for teaching me this a la self tanning products).  If you don't want to touch the dye at all, you can slip the eggs inside a whisk, dip them down in the dye, pull them out, let them dry, and then pull them out of their cage, and repeat.  I got a 3 pack of whisk for a buck at the store. 
For those who have been doing this dye thing a year or 32, I'm sharing yesterday's post-silk tie dyed eggs.  A few things to share on that-you can use a tie a second time, but it fades a little each time.  You want to wrap it in the second layer of cloth b/c this just helps the color adhere a little better, but it's not absolutely necessary.  And third, this is a seriously NON-messy way to dye eggs....pretty cool. 
And now.....decorating the inside and outside of eggs for my Easter table....
 I've actually emptied a lot of eggs in my lifetime.  I made a wreath completely out of eggs I used while cooking throughout the year, and I used to teach my class to make confetti eggs using this same technique.  You can buy special materials for cracking one end of an egg, but I've found, the counter works just fine b/c the hole can be kind of big so you can slip in the treats. 
 Tap, crack, and then use something pock-eeeee to break up the yolk, and empty out the egg. 
 Wash it out really good, and let it dry,.  At this point I used Easter Egg dye and dyed them.  I had to fill the egg with dye to keep it from floating up.  I then went and  found some little candy goodies to fill the egg.
 I love these pom pom bunnies (from Hobby Lobby).
 Stuffed. 
 I used a hot glue gun to add a cupcake liner, this covered the hole (a little large to fit my goodies), and helped the egg stand up at the plate. 
When I make confetti eggs, I just stuff them with confetti, and cover it with a piece of tissue and glue.  Who doesn't want a reason to crack an egg and make a mess on Easter?  Well, minus the hostess? 

2 comments

Unknown said...

sure your guests and kids will love these, Have never tried blowing out the yolks of egs.

me1i55a said...

Mr. Clean Erasure is a BAD idea. I used one last year on my hands and got a serious chemical burn. If you Google Mr. Clean Erasure and skin, you will find this is a common occurrence. I would suggest either finger nail polish remover quickly after you get into the dye, or just wear gloves. Have a wonderful day! :)