Cookies: Eggnog Cookies

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Last year I particpated in what has become an annual event at work.  This was my very favorite recipe from the batch, though there were lots of good ones.  Veronica brought this, and man, they were even better than I anticipated.  It was just a great blend of kind of spicey, fun, holiday flavors. 
Eggnog Cookie Recipe
Cookie Ingredients:  1/2 c. unsalted butter (softened), 1 t. vanilla, 1/4 t. rum extact, 2 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 t. salt, 1 c. sugar, 1 egg, dash of ground nutmeg, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1/2-1 c. eggnog (depending on dough)
Cookie Instructions:  In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar unti light and fluffy.  Beat in egg, vanilla and rum extract.  Combine flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.  Add to the creamed mixture alternately with eggnog and mix well.  Start by adding 1/2 c. eggnog and if you feel that the dough is too thick you can up to 1 cup  more.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheet.  Flatten down the cookie dough just a bit and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Watch them closely they may not take the full 10 minutes.  The cookies are done when they are golden brown around the edges but still light in color on top.  Test the cookies with a toothpick to make sure they are done.  Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack and cool completely and frost. 

Icing Ingredients:  2-3 T unsalted butter (softened), 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1/4 c. eggnog, 1/2 t. vanilla extract, cinnamon sugar. 
Icing Instructions:  Combine butter, powdered sugar, eggnog and vanilla in a mixing bowl.  Beat until smooth.  If the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar.  If it is really thick add a bit more eggnog.  It should be spreadable.  Frost the cookies and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar on top. 

5 comments

Alicia said...

Hi there, I love your blog but have never commented before...I'm wondering if it would ruin the taste of the cookies to leave the rum extract out? I'm asking because I don't have any and probably wouldn't have more use for it if I bought some. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Christy said...

Hi Alicia! Glad you introduced yourself. :O) As far as your question, why not subsitute it with the same amount of vanilla extract? It'll be slightly different, but vanilla is always a good thing in a cookie and the liquid does help a bit. :O)

Alicia said...

Great idea, Christy! Thanks!

Alicia said...

Sorry to hijack this post's comments, but thought I should let you know...I made these tonight and my hubby (the egg nog lover) pronounced them "scrumptious." I'm sure the rum extract would add something extra, but they are still absolutely incredible with just the vanilla. Thanks again!

Christy said...

Ha, I love it. I'm glad you reported back with your results! I'm a lot more likely to never use the rum again as opposed to vanilla, which I would buy by the gallon if they would sell it and my pantry was bigger than a backpack. ;o)