Carrot: Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake

Wednesday, March 06, 2013
 I'm always in pursuit of a great carrot cake.  I've hit on quite a few.  It's like my pursuit of macaroni.  No matter how much I like the last recipe.....I always try one more!  I had this recipe via a friend's recipe binder a few years back and I finally found an excuse to try it out (pardon the picture, it was late at night, and it got 'shipped off' for a birthday the next day).  This was different from other attempts at carrot cake because it was complete with a glaze.  Yum.  This cake really tasted 'homemade' to me, in a good way.  It stays in my cake file.  I'm posting the recipe below. To be honest, I eliminated all the orange stuff in the icing and just made a cream cheese frosting, but I'll post the original if you are going for the 'blue ribbon' and want to add that twist.
 
Carrot Cake:  2 c. flour, 2 t. baking soda, 1/2 t. salt, 2 t. cinnamon, 3 eggs, 3/4 c. veg. oil, 3/4 c. buttermilk, 2 c. sugar, 2 t. vanilla, 8oz can crushed pineapple (drained), 2 c. grated carrots, 3 1/2 oz can flaked coconut, 1 c. chopped walnuts,
Combine flour, b. soda, salt and cinnamon.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla beat until smooth.  Stir in flour mix, pineapple, carrots, coconuts and walnuts.  Pour batter into2 9 inch pan or one rectangle cake pan.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).  Immediately spread glaze over layers.  Cool.  Frost.  Store in fridge.  (Serves 12
Buttermilk Glaze:  1 c. sugar, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1/2 c. buttermilk, 1/2 c. butter, 1 T. light corn syrup, 1 t. vanilla.
Combine sugar, b. soda, buttermilk, butter and corn syrup in a pan.  Bring to a boil and cook for 4 min.  Stir often.  Remove from heat and add vanilla. 
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:  1/2 c. butter (softened), 8 oz pkg cream cheese (softened), 1 t. vanilla, 2 c. powdered sugar (sifted), 1 t. orange rind (grated), 1 t. orange juice. 
Combine butter and cream cheese.  Beat until light and fluffy.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Beat until smooth and then ice cake. 

No comments