Christmas in July: Angel Shutter

Monday, July 29, 2013
I made this in April.  I waiting until July because I figured posting Christmas projects in April was obnoxious, but July is totally fine (ha!).  I meant to make this last year, but....life got in the way.  Again, I found these shutters at a garage sale, the lady was given them away, it was in a pile that said free, but I felt so guilty about just taking something and not buying anything I bought a lampshade I didn't need and haven't used...true story.  I figured I might could do something with it someday.  
My friend Terry cut the face and arms out for me from some thin wood I had from Home Depots scrap section (buy the cutting station, there is some good stuff back there!).  They also sell circles and ovals at Michael's in the unfinished wood section, just in case my friend Terry isn't available to cut it for you....and my jig saw never shows up...
 I painted it with flesh colored paint, added the eyes with the side of my finger, and the cheeks and mouth with these dabber brushes to make a perfect circle.  I flicked it with black and white paint using a toothbrush I put a little paint on and ran my nail down...I just like the finished...
I added Spanish Moss for the hair (with a glue stick) and made a halo with wire I stapled on the back before nailing this to the top of the shutter.  
 You could make wings via wood as well, but I found this fun little design in the unfinished wood section of Michael's...this would be a cute chalkboard, but....I painted it white, outlined it with gold and flecked gold paint on with my trusty toothbrush.
 I nailed all the pieces together and found this little hanging heart at JoAnne I painted up with a little message...
 It's July, but she's ready to go....
...and now I'm off to work on some Valentine's crafts....I kid.  I kid.  

1 comment

Erin said...

This is so cute!