Garden: Jalapeno and Cheese Rolls

Monday, May 19, 2014
 Every summer I have this little row of pots outside lining my back deck.  For about a month I pretend like I know a thing or zero about growing anything but weeds.  By July, the plants have generally shriveled, and I only leave the house for Diet Coke runs because it's, like, hot in Texas in the summer three out of four seasons.  Last year I grew peppers.  Two.  I watched them grow.  I showed them off.  I took their picture.  I talked to them, and when they were ready.  I pulled them off to give them a better life.  In.  My.  Belly.
 I made some rolls.  Really, more a cross between a roll and biscuit.  Yum.  The thing about a pepper-you have to remove the seeds if you don't want your mouth to be on fi-yere.  I like a little fire.  And after you remove those seeds-don't rub your eyes in the next 20 minutes to 20 days or your gonna feel a little sad.  Fine, it's not that bad, but I wouldn't add it to do list for the next party I host.
On to the recipe, just in case you grow a pepper or two this year.
Jalapeno Cheese Bread
*Source Ridiculously Delicious
Ingredients:  3 c. flour, 1 T. baking powder, 1 . salt, 1/4 t. cayenne pepper, 1/9 t. pepper, 1/2 t. garlic powder, 4 oz o cheddar cheese (1/2 in cubes), 3 jalapenos (sliced and de-seeded if you just like a little hot), 1/4 c. milk, 3/4 c. sour cream, 3 T butter (melted), 1 egg
Instructions:  Mix the first 6 ingredients.  Toss in the cheese and jalapenos to coat (this prevents these from sinking to the bottom-you might reserve a few slices of jalapenos to press on top).  In a second bowl, mix all the wet ingredients and then fold into the dry ingredients.  Don't over mix.  Grease 18 muffin tins (or one 9x5 loaf pan).  Cook at 350 (25 minutes for the muffins, 45 minutes if you are making the loaf).
 Let cool.  Devour.  Plan next year's crop of peppers and herbs.

No comments