Sausage Hash Brown Casserole

Thursday, June 12, 2014
 I recently hosted a brunch for some kiddos, but I figured the adults attending probably wanted something a little heartier than character shaped pancakes.  Go figure.  I got this recipe from a friend at work (thanks Laine) and put it all together the night before, then baked it up in the morning.  It was a hit...and completely gone except for one little sliver, which I took a picture of in bad lighting right before I devoured it.  So...here's a good one to add to the breakfast rotation.
Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
Ingredients:  1 lb hot pork sausage (I just used my favorite seasoned breakfast sausage), 3 cups frozen has browns (thawed), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 12 oz shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend for a little kick), 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 12 eggs (beaten), 2 cups milk.
Instructions:  Cook sausage and drain.  Place thawed hash browns  at the bottom of a lightly greased 9x12 baking dish (since I was putting mine in the fridge over night, I didn't even bother with thawing the has browns).  Sprinkle with salt.  Layer sausage, cheese, and green peppers.  Combine the egg and mil and pour it over the top of your green peppers (I placed mine in the fridge over night at this point).  Bake at 350 for at least 50 minutes (mine took about 20 minutes longer-I just wiggled the pan a little to see if the eggs were done baking in the middle.

No comments