Good Luck Black Eyed Pea Cookies

Monday, December 28, 2015
 Last year I decided to play around with my family's New Year's tradition.  It's a must to eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day.  Plural-means two, just in case you love tolerate them like I do. I decided to make a tastier version-sugar cookies.  I used my favorite recipe that holds it shape better.  You can find that here.  I used a mini moon cookie cutter and I just pressed in the pointy edges.  You could also use a little oval shape (they sell them near the fondant) and just press on one side to make the curve.  I added some clear karo syrup (about 1 T per 2 cups) to the icing so that it would harden (it take about 5 hours) and then I'm able to back it without the icing smearing.
 In order to make these a little more fun, I save some of my pull tab cans.  I used one of those can openers that pulls the lid off without the sharp edge (any homegoods store should sell these).
 I created a printable you can download for free here that goes around the can/a tag for the top.
 I bagged and stuffed my can filled with cookies and then I glued the lid on top with a glue gun.
I'd eat more than two if all black eyed peas tasted this good.

No comments