Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Disclaimer-I am not a vegan, but sometimes I want to share my calories, and my brother is currently at my house.  He's skinny.  He's a vegan.  (Do the math.  AND he will eat my temptation.  I wanted a couple of cookies, but I knew if I wanted to push them off on someone I needed them to be vegan.  Oatmeal cookies are the perfect cookie to do that with b/c one of my favorite substitutes when baking vegan is flax seeds, the grains aren't as noticeable when you pair them with oats.  I took a basic recipe and substituted a few ingredients for the eggs and butter.  If you just want a basic, chewy recipe, but like your dairy, just replace the flax seed/water with the egg, and vegan butter with regular butter.  Some vegans don't do vanilla (long story, but from what I've read, the initial problems aren't present in what we use today-it's your call), but you can use an almond extract if you would rather.
For vegans, or hungry people, here's a good recipe for chew oatmeal cookies....
Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
INGREDIENTS: 1/2 c. vegan butter (softened, NOT melted), 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1 T ground flax seed, 3 T of water, pinch of baking soda, 1/2 t. vanilla, 1 c. flour, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1/2 t. salt, 3/4 t ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 c oats (not instant)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Put flax seed in 3 T water and set aside for about ten minutes.  After ten pinch add a pinch of baking soda to the top and then add to the dry ingredients.
2.  Stir together butter, sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda.  
3.  Add flax seed mix, and vanilla. 
4.  Add in flour, salt and cinnamon.  Once it's blended, stir in oats.  
5.  Place Tablespoon size drops on a baking sheet and bake for 375 for ten minutes (until just browning around the edge). 
*makes 18 cookies

No comments