We recently had a volunteer breakfast at work and I wanted to try out a new recipe. Who better to try out a new recipe on than a bunch of people who have tirelessly volunteered at your school all year, right? Fortunately, this turned out to be a really delicious recipe! I keep saying I'm going to start a thread "never make this again," but I'm not sure if my blog has enough memory to house those recipe post. BUT, if I did have a thread, this wouldn't make it because this one is a keeper. It's monkey bread....in muffin form. Seriously, does it get any better than that? Incidentally, it said to 'drizzle' the icing on top, but I pooled it in the middle to make it easier to scoop up and put on a plate. Same end result, deliciousness. Honestly, I don't even know if the cream cheese was necessary, the muffins alone were delicious. But....you can't really go wrong with cream cheese and powdered sugar. It's one of my life's philosophy! The original recipe came from mybakingaddiction.
Monkey Bread Muffins
Muffin Ingredients: 1/4 c granulated sugar, 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon, 1 can flaky refrigerated biscuits, 1/4 c. butter, 2/3 c. packed dark brown sugar, 2 t. water, 1/2 t. vanilla
Icing Ingredients: 4 oz cream cheese (at room temp), 1 c. powdered sugar (sifted), 1/2 t. vanilla extract, 3 T milk
1. Heat oven to 375 and spray 8 muffin tins with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar. Cut the biscuits into 8 pieces each. Roll into small balls and roll them through the cinnamon/sugar mix and then place 9 balls into each muffin cup.
3. In a saucepan on med heat, melt together butter, brown sugar, and water. Bring to a point and stir until brown sugar is dissolved (about 2 minutes). Pull off hea and add vanilla. Spoon caramel over muffins.
5. Let the muffins cool about 20 minutes (it's hard to remove them before the caramel sets b/c they don't hold together well while everything is still piping hot). I used a soup spoon to help pop them out of the tins/while keeping all the pieces together.
5. Use a mixer to beat together all of the icing ingredients. Drizzle over the top of muffins. Serve hot.
*makes 8 muffins