Vegan Pumpkin Bread

Monday, October 31, 2016

My grandmother's recipe is the best pumpkin bread.  The end.  You can get the original recipe here.

Last year I found myself with an extra can of pumpkin, and a brother coming to Christmas dinner that is vegan.  Once upon a time he loved this recipe too, so I decided to look up some substitutions.  Everything, BUT the eggs are vegan friendly.  I did some research on taste/rise etc and found a great substitute for this particular bread.  It calls for 4 eggs, which is a lot to substitute without altering the taste too much.

I did a half and half of banana and flax seed so it didn't taste too much like banana bread, but it also didn't have too many seeds/nutty flavor.

I soaked 2 T of ground flax seed in 6 T of water for 30 minutes.  I added two pinches of baking powder to that, and pour this and 1 large smashed banana into the mix when it called for eggs.
Honestly, I think it was even better than the original recipe!  It's very rare that I've found the substitutes don't impact the taste in vegan food.  I realize that isn't so significant for vegans, BUT....this recipe makes us all happy!  Vegans for the win on the new version of this one!

No comments