Homemade Jam

Friday, May 04, 2018

     I'm working through the 'easier' things on my 40 before 40 list right now.  Some things are simple, but I've never taken the time to try them out....like canning.  I've always wanted to can something, in particular, jam.  I didn't take this through the whole process of boiling this and sealing the jar b/c my plan was to A)  See if it was worth preserving.  B)  Eat it quickly. 
     Having made this recipe, I will definitely make more and boil it to seal the jar so I have jam past the strawberry season.  I don't think I've ever had homemade jam, but....now I'm not sure I can ever go back to the store.
     I found this recipe at allrecipe.  I used the one with the fewest ingredients (and no gelatin).  See that foam at the top?  You can skim it off if you want-it's just air bubbles.  But....you do you.  The below recipe makes about 3 jars of jam, but I halved the recipe to start with....because there is nothing worse than three jars of grossness, but....having made it.....I'm going to go cut up the rest of my strawberries....and there will be gifts in the future for some of my friends.
Strawberry Jam
Ingredients:  2 lbs of strawberries (4 cups total of crushed strawberries), 4 c. of sugar, 1/4 c. lemon juice.
Instructions:
1.  Hull and roughly chop up strawberries.  Crush with a pastry cutter until the larger chunks are crushed and it's mostly juice.
2.  Add strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a pan.  Stir on low until combined until the sugar is dissolved.
3.  Bring to a rolling boil.  Stir frequently.  Allow jam to get to 220 degrees (I used a candy thermometer).  This took a few minutes (10 min), and the process helped break down the strawberries even more.
4.  Use a funnel to pour into hot (sterile) jars.  Leave 1/4-1/2 inch at the top.  Wipe off liquid from the top before adding the seal.
5.  Place in fridge if you are eating right away, or prepare in a water bath if you are saving these for later.
*Mine is a little runny, but it taste sooooo good.  I read to test to see if it's ready to gel, place a plate in the freezer.  After 10 min of boiling, place a teaspoon of jam on the plate.  Return to the freezer for 1 minute.  Pull out and run your finger through the middle.  If it doesn't pull back together-it's ready.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!