Homemade Marinara Sauce

Wednesday, August 29, 2018
 I've been working through a list of 40 things I wanted to do in the year before I turned 40.  One was to make homemade noodles.  That experiment definitely needs to be redone.  Maybe the problem was I kept feeling like I was playing with playdough, and those it reminded me of what I imagine playdough taste like.  I can't confirm that...I probably ate it as a child, but I don't remember.  But....whatever those  pasta making issues were, the sauce I made to go on top WAS on point and I wouldn't change a thing!  It's almost an exact match to The Pioneer Woman's sauce, but this is how I did it (just a few additions).  I can't wait to try this out with some lasagna.  It was worth the simmer time!
Marinara Sauce
Ingredients:  1/4 c. olive oil, 1 yellow onion (diced), 5 cloves of garlic (minced), 2 large carrots (peeled and diced), 2 cans (28 oz each) whole tomatoes, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. black pepper, 4 t. sugar, 1 small can of tomato paste,  2 (heaping) T Italian seasoning, cooked pasta, fresh Parmesan cheese
Instructions:  
1.  In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium.  Add the onion, garlic, and carrots.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  
2.  Pour tomatoes and juice into a bowl and use your hands to squish the tomatoes so the juices are released and they are broken into smaller chunks.  Add tomatoes and tomato paste to the onion mix along with your salt, pepper, sugar, and Italian seasoning.  
3.  Simmer for 1 1/2 hours (uncovered).  Stir occasionally.  
4.  Toss with pasta.  Top with cheese.  

No comments