Lazy Mom's Lasagna

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I found this recipe through a website called wondertime.go.com that someone sent me for a completely different reason, and it was yummy! I did make some adaptions, which I noted at the end.
Recipe for Lazy Mom's Lasagna
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 carrots, grated
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (14-ounce) package frozen cheese ravioli, unthawed
1 (14-ounce) jar marinara sauce
1/2 pound sliced provolone
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the oil in an ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, then sauté the onion, carrots, garlic, and herbs until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mix to a bowl. Now arrange the ravioli (breaking them apart if they're clumped) in one layer in the skillet and sprinkle with the onion mix. Ladle the marinara sauce evenly over the ravioli. Over medium heat, without stirring, cook everything until the ravioli are heated through and beginning to brown on the bottom (gently lift one with a fork to check), about 10 minutes.

Remove the skillet from the heat, then arrange the provolone slices over the sauce and sprinkle the whole thing with Parmesan. Bake the lasagna in the middle of the oven until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
*I went ahead and used the whole bag of frozen cheese ravioli (something like 25 oz). The original recipe said it serves four people, but I thought with the addition of the ravioli it would easily serve five people, and be more than filling. I also didn't add the grated carrots, I'd be interested to know what that taste like. Lastly, I thought it might be good with some ground beef tossed in, but then again, I'm not that into meat, but I could see where it would be really tasty with a meat sauce,and not just tomato sauce.

2 comments

Thomas Family said...

I do something similar but it goes in the oven and sounds a lot less complicated. But regardless let me know if you want the instructions

Christy said...

I'd love the recipe! I'm always looking for new, even if it's new 'old favorites.' :O)