Originality...or Lack There Of

Saturday, February 13, 2010
When I was little, I used to have a 'secret' way of cooling off on hot summer evenings. I'd lay in my bed until I couldn't stand the heat any longer, and then I'd flip the pillow over. I was refreshed, because I had discovered that no matter how hot the rest of the covers, blankets, comforter, and top of the pillow were, there was a secret cool side of the pillow just waiting until I was ready to be rejuvenated. I thought I was so smart to have discovered this, and I guess it's pretty obnoxious to think that I never shared this 'secret' with anyone else. BUT THEN, I remember standing in school one day and looking at poster advertising an upcoming party, and the poster maker had written: "It's going to be as cool as the other side of the pillow." I was shocked to discover that other people had discovered this, in fact, enough other people that there is apparently even a saying referring to my secret! I thought I was going to patent this discovery! This summer, we were discussing ideas at work, and the head of the LA department mentioned that even if you have a clever idea, someone has already had that idea at some point in the history of life! Perhaps this was said to keep us humble? Whatever, I'm fine with that-and I openly admit to loving, and 'lifting' ideas from other blogs-though I want to believe I always site those sources! It's perhaps a little bit of a pet peeve of mine to give credit where credit is due!

No comments