Cake Batter (Saint Patrick's Day) Cookies

Sunday, March 07, 2010

My friend Jodi shared the recipe (below) that she and her little guys make for special occasions, including cute Valentine's Day cookies she shared on her blog (I hope she doesn't mind me sharing the recipe?!?!). It sounded really easy, and very yummy, I love those round cake cookies you get at the store. I tried to practice restraint when she shared the recipe, and I imagined I'd make them for Easter in the shape of eggs, but then I remembered, restraint isn't really a practice I like to...well...practice, so I made some Saint Patrick's Day Cookies instead. I'm shipping them off to my Mom's office (I put my office through the Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcake Calories last week, and I don't want to be voted off the island if I bring MORE calories this week...). Of course, I didn't want to ship anything off that I hadn't first sampled-this baking stuff is tough! They were as delicious as I imagined, and Jodi promised they would be! They were also super easy to make, and....did I mention they were delicious?
Recipe:
(Any) Boxed Cake Mix (I used a yellow butter cake boxed cake-per Jodi's suggestion).
1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
2 Eggs
Icing
Sprinkles
Instructions:
Mix first three ingredients, and chill dough for at least 2 hours.
Preheat Oven 350 degrees
Roll and shape cookies. (The dough is very soft, so when I cut them with the cookie cutter, and transfer them, they did want to move and shift shapes. I was still able to transfer the dough, but I also found if I took a little ball of dough, flattened it with the bottom of a glass directly on the tray in the spot it would be baking on, and then cut out the shape, and pulled the excess from around the edges, the shape remained perfectly 'shaped' on the tray ready to bake!)
Bake for 8-10 minutes. (They spread out more than a usual cookie, so leave plenty of space, unless you like attached, twin cookies. :O))
Cool, ice, and sprinkle. (I just used a tub of fluffy icing (easy to spread) and piped it on with a snipped ziplock bag-I was worried if I just spread it it would be difficult to discern this particular shape.)
These made about 2 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.

No comments