A Tip for Thursday

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Whenever I buy things, like green onions, even though they are so affordable, I still feel better about my purchase if I can 'use them all' and not have any waste. I always try to plan meals together that use the same ingredients (if the recipe doesn't call for the whole amount). I still waste a lot of food....too much, and items like this quickly go bad in a draw in my fridge. A lot of times I search through my recipes and group them up with this in mind. So....maybe everyone in the world knows this, but I didn't, and in case you hang out under the rock I live under, I have to share. On The Next Food Network star one of the contestants said that you can take the leftover 'roots' of your green onions, put them in a cup of water in your refrigerator, and they will grow again...and again...and again. It's true. I've had these green onions for a long time now, and I've cut them at least 3 times. I've just trimmed them (again) in this picture b/c most of the time they grow faster than I need them. I just leave this (fine china) cup in my fridge and I always have green onions. Kinda cool, huh? The only time I've run into a snag is when I forget to add water (which I add about once ever two weeks or so). I can't even grow dandelions in my front yard, so if I can grow my own green onions, I kinda feel like I've conquered (a small piece of) the world. Whenever I get recipes from friends I also set them in a box (the box is very full) until I can try them. With my swiftly growing green onions in mind....I made the following recipe, compliments of Laine's Recipe Box
Fiesta Tortilla Roll Ups

2 packages of Cream Cheese (softened)
1 pkg of Hidden Valley Ranch
2 Green Onions, Chopped
1 4 oz. can of black olives, drained
1 4 oz. can of pimientos, drained
1 4 oz. can of green chilies, drained
4 12 inch tortillas
Mix first three ingredients, and spread over tortillas. Blot next three ingredients dry with a paper towel (to avoid soggy tortillas later). Sprinkle veggies evenly over cream cheese. Roll tightly. Wrap in Syrian wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight). Cut into bite size pieces, and serve.

3 comments

Lori said...

Wow, great tip, I guess the green part keeps growing?

Christy said...

Yes, I just cut it down to the white,and then stick the 'bulbs' ? down in the water, and they grow. It's like grass. :O)

Christy said...

I never knew this! Great tip I want to buy some green onions just to try!