Back to School: Chalkboard Globe

Friday, August 20, 2010

Maybe it's the teacher in me, but I love chalkboard everything. I've made chalkboard clipboards, chalkboard canisters, chalkboard t-shirts, chalkboard trivets, chalkboard frames, chalkboard plant markers, and by accident, I gave myself a chalkboard manicure once!
So I stumbled across this chalkboard globe last May online, and thought-I can do that, and so I did...I saved this project to share for the start of school! I've since found it on One Pretty Thing, AND Under the Table and Dreaming, so cute.
Globes become outdated about every four days, and this particular globe was at least 10 years old, and unless a few countries want to rethink their decisions, I thought it was safe to spray. I'm sure there is a way to remove the globe and make this easier, but I just covered everything 'non-globe-ey' with paper towel and tape...the more ridiculous the process looks, the more fun I have. I have a LOT of fun.

It only took one coat to get Mother Earth covered with chalk.
I think this would be fun in a classroom, in the school office, or in a student's study nook. It would be fun to recreate the earth (since the continent shapes are relatively stable, just not the countries!), write morning messages to a class, or funny 'whatevers.' I'll probably write funny 'whatevers.' Actually, I'll be giving this away, but it'll live forever in blogland....or at least as long as blogland lives.

7 comments

Dana said...

Love it. How did you do it? Thanks Dana (pls email me dlanzalone@sbcglobal.net)

erin said...

that is so cute and clever. I have a few globes laying around and am totally going to be doing this! Thanks so much for the cute idea. Thanks also for the very kind words about my food face plates!! They were the nicest comments I have ever gotten! :)
Erin
www.abirdandabean.blogspot.com

STYLISHRHEA said...

Hi!
Thanks for commenting in my blog. I love seeing comments. I love that chalkboard globe you made, I want to try to make it for my hubby as a to do list or sweet note kind of thing.

Chalkboard manicure? I never heard of that but sounds cool.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea, and a great way to kick off the new school year.

Katie said...

Hysterical, I'd never seen of these before. I love it!

Crafts a la Mode said...

This is fabulous! I've been reading a lot about the chalkpaint and how great it is. Thanks for sharing. Linda

Annelise said...

LOVE>>>LOVE>>>LOVE>>>THIS!