Back to School: Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If I were a teacher (oh wait, I am....and I've been in too many meetings to count already, with students set to come in a little less than a week), this would be a cute gift to great the beginning...middle, or end of the year for a teacher, or a student as an after school snack.
I saw this cupcake idea in Martha's Stewart's book Cupcakes. I wanted to try it, and filed the idea away, but THEN I saw this idea again during the Cupcake Carnival via a guest post by This Full Life, and she has simplified the recipe even more!
I used her recipe, Martha's Decorating Techniques, and my own brown bag and napkin props to make this a school-ish gift. The cupcakes didn't rise as much as some cupcakes have for me, but they were really moist, and delicious! If you like PB and J....that's pretty much exactly what this taste like.
Here is the recipe I used:
Cupcakes
1 box of vanilla cake mix
1/4 c. sour cream
1 T honey
1 t. vanilla
Prepare the box as it says, but reduce the oil by half. Add the sour cream, honey, and vanilla to the mix. Bake for two minutes less than instructed (great tip from This Full Life to keep a cake moist).
Filling
1 Jar of your favorite jam. It also says to: Press jam through a sieve to remove seeds, and fruit clumps. Place in a ziplock bag, snip off the corner, and fill cupcakes to desired filling. I didn't do this. I just cut a cone out of my cupcakes, filled them up with seedless jam, and reserved a little to dab on top.

Frosting
1 jar of whipped vanilla frosting
1 1/2 c. peanut butter
1 T. milk
Mix, and ice as desired
I added a note on a napkin like Mom used to, and placed them in little brown lunch bags for delivery.
Makes about 18 (like I said, they don't rise as much as a lot of cupcakes, so I'd definitely fill your liners at least 3/4 full).
Here are the insides of the cupcakes.

Linking To:
Hoosier Homemade
Tip Junkie
It's So Very Cheri
Somewhat Simple
504 Main
Funky Junk
Tatortots and Jello
Along for the Ride
Under the Table and Dreaming

8 comments

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Such a cute idea!

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

These look so yummy!

Tiffanee said...

Cute idea and oh so delicious looking! Love the presentation with the adorable bag. Thanks for stopping by. Now following you back.

HoosierHomemade said...

Oh my! Those look great! I just had someone ask my yesterday on Facebook if I have made PB&J yet. I will send her your link!
Thanks so much for joining in the fun on Cupcake Tuesday and the Challenge...sorry I was so late last night!
~Liz

S and family said...

Mmmm...these look great. I want one right now!

I {heart} Nap Time said...

yum!! you always have the best cupcakes!!

All That Glitters said...

These look so good!!!! I love the cute brown bag too! I can't figure out how you did that ribbon though!

Take care!
Jennifer

Holly Lefevre said...

YUMMY! I love PB&J anything. I make a mean PB&J muffin...but these look more decadent. Thanks for linking up.