Cake Mix Cupcakes: Tropical Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes

Saturday, August 14, 2010
Week three of the cupcake challenge at Hoosier's site called all participants to use a boxed cake mix and add a little flair.  I wanted to keep up with the 'summer' theme, AND I've wanted to try a banana pudding filled banana cupcake, with a whipped icing for the last few months.  I looked around for some boxed cake+banana cupcake recipe ideas so that the cupcakes would be in alignment with this week's theme, and guess what?  I think it more than worked flavor-wise!  I'm glad I didn't make the cupcakes from scratch, this was much easier to put together, and it taste great.  This is a keeper in my book.  I also managed to pretend it was perfectly fine to eat these for breakfast.  Here is the recipe and process.
For the Cupcake: 
Ingredients-1 yellow cake mix, 3 (more than) ripe bananas (mushed), 1 c. water, 1/2 t. baking soda and follow the number of eggs, and oil the back of the box calls for on the back (The recipe I used also said you can use this same basic cake mix+any  fruit recipe with just about any fruit and a different variation on this cupcake.)
Instructions-Mix all ingredients together, and bake at 350 for 18 minutes.
For the Filling:
Ingredients-1 small instant banana pudding package, 2 c. of milk, 1 t. vanilla
Instructions-Mix all ingredients together, and  chill for 30 minutes before filling cooled cupcakes.  I like to carve off the top, you can also push the filling in with a piping bag and tip, pick your poison.
For the Icing: 
Ingredients:1 small package instant vanilla pudding, 1 c. milk, 1 t. vanilla, 8 oz extra-creamy whipped topping, 1/4 c. powdered sugar.
Instructions:  Mix and chill for thirty minutes, and then ice and top with crushed vanilla wafers, or chocolate shell decorations.  I bought this mold at the dollar store, and took a little white chocolate and pink chocolate, melted it, and gently stirred the two colors together, poured it in the mold, and put it in the freezer until set. 
I wanted to put these in little buckets, and throw the crushed wafers on top to look like sand.  These were the only buckets I could find (at US Toys). 
The birthday sayings didn't really go with my summer beach theme, so I covered them with some scrap paper, and then plopped a cupcake inside.  Took a picture, and dug in....
This recipe made a VERY full 24 cupcakes, after my dog snagged 9 in literally less than a minute (I walked out of the house and forgot they were cooling on the counter, remembered at the end of my sidewalk and ran back in to witness Mr. Licking-His-Lips.  For the last 11....I just did this....

I love these mini-vanilla waffers.  P.s.  I think the icing is my favorite part....very light.  I piled it high, to the point of toppling in one case, it's how the best cupcakes are made!

13 comments

Renée said...

These are really fun and sound delicious. You did a great job working with the theme. Congratulations and good luck with the challenge.

Kel said...

Wow! What a great and original idea! :) I was just stopping by to invite you to join our spotlight Saturday Blog Hop. Link up your own blog and also spotlight your favorite blog you'd like to share with everyone. I hope to see you there! Have a fantastic weekend!

Kel
www.betweenthelines-kel.com

Lori said...

Christy, I can't connect to the link for the cupcake competition. I want to see how no one can compare to you. The picture link is not working. The dog must be so happy you left the snack for him.

Jen said...

Those look seriously delicious!
Im actually eating banana pudding as I'm writing this comment!!!!

Jill said...

Banana's not my thing, but I think I might try this with raspberries. Those ones you posted at the end look amazing though. I'd probably eat them just on the basis of looks alone.

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure.com said...

Awesome job with the cupcakes good luck with the challenge and looking forward to seeing more

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

How wonderful! I'm definitely bookmarking this one!

Cath @ dunnntoperfection said...

So creative! Love the little buckets!!!

Creative Cupcake Recipes said...

These look so good, an bet they taste yummy. What a cute, clever idea.
A winner in my book.

Cookbook Queen said...

I've been wanting to try a cupcake recipe like this for awhile too. Makes me think of a more portable, less mushy version of Banana Pudding. Looks yummy, thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

YUM!!! Ohmygosh, Im totally going to have to add this to my "to bake" list!

HoosierHomemade said...

You come up with the most clever ideas! Thanks so much for adding these to the Cupcake Challenge!
~Liz