The Apple: Applesauce

Friday, September 10, 2010

I love applesauce.
I was determined to finish off a bag of apples I bought b/c I'm sooo tired of wasting money on things like this, and so I googled and merged some recipes on random recipes all over the net to make the most basic sauce I could find. It's pretty sweet, which I like, but feel free to taste before adding some of the sugar and spices if that's not your thing.
HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE:

Ingredients:
5 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced small, 1/2 c. water, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and 1/4 t. nutmeg
Instructions:
1. Place diced apples and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan.

2. Cover saucepan with a lid, bring to a boil, and then continue to boil over medium for 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
3. Add 1/4 c. sugar, stir until dissolved, and then add cinnamon/nutmeg mix.
4. I had to drain a little left over water, my apples were soft, but the water was still there. It didn't impact the taste.
*I've also seen this done with some red hots, or strawberries in place of the sugar for a natural sugar substitute, and a little flavor variation.

2 comments

Katie said...

This looks to be just the way I like it nice and thick with big chunks of apples. We are looking to go apple picking soon and I think I'm going to try my hand at applesauce for the first time.

Jamie said...

This looks amazing! I really have to give it a try! We have some wonderful apples here right now that should be perfect for it.