The Apple: Caramel Apple Cupcakes

Tuesday, September 07, 2010
I know this idea has been done before, but this is the recipe I've throw together for my version of one of my favorite treats, and it's a GOOD one.  This is the PERFECT combination of salty, and sweet.  I made an apple pie cupcake last summer, and it was good, I still love the icing, and the filling, but I think I love this apple cupcake recipe even better.  As for the icing, I used the same recipe for caramel icing I used on some Samoa cupcakes, you can find that recipe here.   I adapted the cupcake recipe from Woman's Day. 
Apple Cupcakes:

1 box yellow cake ix, 2/3 c. applesauce (use the applesauce INSTEAD of the water the mix calls for), eggs called for on the back of the box (usually 3-4), oil called for on the cake mix box, 2 t. cinnamon, (I added) 2 green medium green apples, peeled and diced.  (The recipe called for the baker to place 1 caramel in the middle of each cupcake, this will sink to the bottom while it bakes, but I didn't do this b/c I was making the caramel icing).  I baked at 350 for 17-18 minutes.  I've also seen this sort of cupcake topped with a melted caramel sauce, but I love the icing.  I crushed nuts, and put them around some of the cupcakes, and a topped a few of the cupcakes with mini caramel apples (yesterday's post).
I did NOT get 24 cupcakes out of the mix, even with the added apples.  I filled each cupcake about half full (and it puffed up really high even at just 1/2 full), and I probably only filled about 18 cupcake cups total. 
Linking To:
Tasty Tuesday

22 comments

Erin said...

Yowza! These look so darn tasty! What a perfect back to school cupcake. I think I will be makign these this weekend!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

alicia said...

These look amazing. So glad you found my tasty tuesdays. I've enjoyed perusing and can't wait to try some of these here. Come back any time!

HoosierHomemade said...

Yum! Caramel Apples are a fave at our house, and especially in cupcake form :-)
Thanks so much for joining in the fun on Cupcake Tuesday, I just LOVE having you join us every week!
~Liz

Fragile Mill said...

These look fantastic as does everything on the blog. Think I will try these

All That Glitters said...

Man! Those look good!

Jami said...

What a cute idea! I love caramel apples and I love cupcakes, so I am sure I will love these. :)

Diane Schmidt said...

mmm..they sound delicious!

Prairie Story said...

Totally cute! I love this idea. I just made a tonne of apple sauce and I want to use some of it for baking. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

These look amazing! 7 am and I could eat a few right now! : )

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

These look really yummy - and very cute too!

Katie said...

Christy, you have 2 t. of cinnamon listed twice did you mean to add 2 t. of cinnamon twice at different times? Also do you think the frosting is a must? Making these cupcakes is already a big step for me I am wondering if the frosting would be too much for me to attempt at once...

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

OH WOW YUMMMMMM OOOOO!!! I love it. It would be perfect for linking up to our Fall Decorations link up party, would love to have you join in!

http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/09/all-about-you-monday-fall-decorations.html

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

Thank you so much for linking up with All About You Monday, these still sound so yummy and I'm dying to try them.
Hope you come back next Monday where our link up theme is all about ribbon but any fun project, craft, DIY, or recipe is welcomed.

Unknown said...

Hi Christy!
I loved your recipe and posting so much that I highlighted it on my first installment of Blogland Bonanza on my blog The Exchange. Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait to make these yummies!
Cheers!
Cyndy

Taija said...

I am loving your blog! So cute... These look yumm-o, I also LOVED your Dr Pepper cupcake, so adorable!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

How yummy! And so perfect for fall!

Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!

Katie said...

Guess what's baking in the oven? Yum, they smell good. You weren't kidding they do poof up! We added caramels to some, to try it.

bed frame amish said...

This looks so delicious! Love the idea. I am giving this a try this weekend.

Shabby Soul said...

These looks both scrumptious & adorable!

Leanne said...

I was looking for something different to take in for my daughter's kindergarten class for their "apple party" and came across these. Just took them out of the oven and all I can say is YUM!! Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to try your other recipes!!

Christy said...

Leanne! I'm so glad these worked out for you! I hope they are a hit with the kiddos!

Unknown said...

I came up with a recipe for caramel apple cupcakes in the early 1980's which I submitted to the Pillsbury BakeOff. Here is my recipe which has been posted on justapinch.com for quite some time:
Ingredients

CUPCAKES:
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c chunky style applesauce
3 large eggs
TOPPING:
3/4 c creamy peanut butter
1/2 c caramel sundae topping
3 Tbsp milk
GARNISH:
3/4 c unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
18 wooden popsicle sticks
Directions

1 Combine cake mix, cinnamon, applesauce and eggs in large bowl or mixer bowl.
2 Beat 2 minutes vigorously by hand or at high speed of mixer.
3 Fill paper-lined muffin tins half full.
4 Bake at 350 degrees for 25-27 minutes or until cupcake springs back when lightly touched in center.
5 Cool COMPLETELY before frosting.
6 Combine topping ingredients in small bowl.
7 With butter knife or spreader, frost each cupcake with equal amounts of topping.
8 Sprinkle with peanuts.
9 Place popsicle stick in center of each cupcake and push through.