Personalized Coasters

Monday, December 13, 2010
Last summer, Heather let me borrow her children to practice taking pictures of people.  Most people in my life don't love my camera directed towards them.  Eventually, they don't like it directed towards anywhere b/c I like to stop and take pictures.  I like to take lots of pictures.  People can be down right scary if they don't want their picture taken.  In order to take better pictures the first time around so people don't get so annoyed, I need to practice.  I can't practice on annoyed people, so I borrowed children under the age of 8, and snapped away as they played at the Science Place.  Sometime, I'll share those pictures in great detail, but I took a few I really liked, and I printed them off and made coasters for part of her Christmas gift. 
I cut them down to a little under 4 inches, and bought a package of 10 tiles at Home Depot. 
I covered the back of the pictures with Mod Podge, and pressed them down onto the tiles. 
I then sprayed them with a lacquer paint that said it seals against water. 
I went over the tiles a few times, just to make sure.  A friend of mine who does this a lot says one can covers about 25 tiles.  It's kinda pricey, but I used a coupon at JoAnne's.
I then cut some felt to the size of the tiles, and used another coat of mod podge on the tile to press the felt down and create a no-skid back. 
This was a great way to put some of my photography to use.'
Linking To:
Keeping it Simple Between Naps on the Porch Dittle Dattle CRAFT Under the Table and Dreaming Simpsonized Crafts Sugar Bee Tip Junkie These Creative Juices

11 comments

Kansas Amy said...

What a great idea! I am so going to do that. I hope all is well!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love this idea, Christy! I'm trying to decide on how I want to make some Christmas coasters. I thought I might quilt some, but these are tempting... I suppose I could Mod Podge fabric onto the front of the tile, too, huh?

Unknown said...

Very cute! I love Mod Podge coasters!

Lori said...

Picture perfect!

TheShepherdJourney said...

So cute! Did you use a 4X6 or 5X7?

Deb said...

cool idea...1st time visitor...

Anonymous said...

I love mine you made me!

Jen said...

What a cool idea! This one is definitely going in my "to do" file!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Christy, this is a great gift! Everyone could use and love a personalized coaster! Great hostess gift idea too. You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the Monday blog party!!

Katie said...

This was on my list of "to-do" forever, but then I got a super deal on Snapfish and I took the lazy way out...but I still really like the project. Maybe I should put it back on the list, but this time as something to make as a gift.

vemcall said...

Hi,

Personalized coasters can be used in so many ways. They make great personalized party favors, awesome personalized gifts for clients and customers, great photo gifts for grandparents, personalized baptism favors, wedding favors, commemorate an anniversary, reunion coasters, and much more. Thanks...

Restaurant Coasters