(No Sew) Personalized Book Bags

Sunday, December 12, 2010
I saw this fabulous book bag idea here.  When Regan said she wanted to craft, I knew this was the perfect idea to try out because she doesn't love to pull her sewing machine out quite as often as I do.  I made an initial travel bag for Blythe last year, but this year, I'm making these stenciled bags for my adult friends. 
I grabbed three canvas bags at Hobby Lobby, black paint, textile paint, freezer paper, doiles (Wilton's 12 inch turned out to be my favorite design), a letter stensil (I used my cricut), adhesive glue, a plastic batman table cloth (the most essential material in the whole process), and an iron.
We sprayed the doile with adhesive spray, and placed it on the part of the bag I wanted to create a 3/4 circle.  (This will peel off easily later).
We mixed the color paint we wanted with a few drops of textile paint (this makes the paint washable once you iron it down).  We dabbed in the open holes with a foam brush.  The adhesive spray helps this really stick down tightly so there isn't too much smearing. 
We peeled the doile away, and then pressed down the letter we cut out on freezer paper with an iron (the shiny side sticks when ironed, and peels aways when you are finished painting. 
We used our foam brushes again to paint the cutout of the letter. 
After the paint dried, we ironed, and took a bow. 
Regan later added flowers to the top of hers, more on that process at a later date.  I'm digging these bags. 
Linking To:  The CSI Project

7 comments

Jen said...

Love this idea! since I don't sew its perfect!

Anji* said...

They look lovely! I love the idea of stencilling with doilies :)

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Way cute!! And good for any occasion!

the cape on the corner said...

these look great-i love the black around the initial. these would be a great gift, and so very eco chic!

Katie said...

I got a magazine with that idea in it from my MIL and thought it looked super cute but haven't had time to try it out yet. I thought they'd make super reusable gift bags! Nice to know it really does come out looking fabulous.

Regan said...

I'm all about the not sewing...espcially after that great "experience" while making the stocking. I can't believe you showed the picture before I "perfected" my letter....

Gooseberry Patch said...

Love this idea, Cristy...we posted a link as part of our Christmas Craft Roundup! http://bit.ly/GBPcraftychristmas