Easter: Homemade Cadberry Creme Eggs

Wednesday, March 23, 2011
My very favorite candy on planet earth is the Cadberry Creme Egg.  The problem is, it only comes out once a year.  I buy them, and freeze them so I can pull one out when emergencies pop up.  Emergencies=Mondays, Tuesdays, Days with the letter 'a' somewhere in the name.  You can only freeze so many Cadberry eggs....before people start noticing.  I'd never let people stop me, but there are just so many Cadberry Eggs you can buy on credit before the company calls.  I thought about moving to England, they sell these all year in bar form.  I google searched having some shipped, but then...
So, I accidentally found a recipe for Cadberry Eggs on ehow.  I thought, no way, but guess what-way.  There were moments while chewing, I couldn't tell the difference.  I'd say it's safe to say-my diet is in trouble-the the infinite power now. 
Here's the recipe for...
 Cadberry Creme Eggs 
Ingredients:  1/2 c. light corn syrup, 1/4 c. softened butter, 1 teas. vanilla, 1/4 teas. salt, 3 cups powdered sugar, yellow food coloring, 12 oz bag milk chocolate chips, 2 Table. shortening
Instructions: 
1.  Use a mixer to mix together the first 5 ingredients. 
2.  Place 1/3 of the mix aside, and dye yellow for the egg yolk. 
3.  Place mixes in the refrigerator for 2 hours (until firm). 
4.  Pull out, and form yolk with yellow mix. 
5.  Mold while around the yellow yolks so no yellow shoes, create an egg shape. 
6.  Place on a greased cookie sheet, and put in the freezer for an hour or two. 
7.  Melt chocolate and shortening.  Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in the microwave. 
8.  Place eggs on a fork, and dip in chocolate.  Rest on wax paper. 
9.  Refrigerate again until firm. 
*These make about 12 eggs.  My innards were always a little jellied, but they held together well enough to hold it's shape while being dipped in chocolate. 

12 comments

Heather said...

Mmmm! These look yummy! Hubs hates Cadberry eggs (yeah, I guess he might not be as much of a kindred spirit as I thought ;) so I guess I'll have to suffer through eating them all myself. hehee

Donna said...

I can't believe my eyes. I'm just so excited to try this one. Just a question. What is c.powdered sugar & T shortening. Australian you know!! I can not believe we have a cadberry factory in Tasmania and we don't get them year round in a bar. I do a big stock up after Easter when they are really cheap.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love Cadbury Creme Eggs. I haven't had one in years, though. I can't believe there is a recipe to make your own!

Christy said...

@ Donna-Thanks for asking, sometimes I use my own shorthand in writing recipes, and I imagine my great great grandkids having no idea what I'm saying! I changed it on the recipe, but c=cup, T=Tablespoon, t=teaspoon I hope that helps!

Erin said...

WOW! That's about all I can say! WOW! I LOVE Cadbury eggs! But to make them! Whoo hoo!!!!!!!

Donna said...

Thanks i thought it was some wild ingredients you have over there. These are on the weekend menu!!

Tree said...

Man these look good!! My kids love Cadbury eggs... gonna have to try these for sure! Thanks for linking up for Tasty Tuesday again this week.

Sally said...

You are BRILLIANT woman, BRILLIANT! May the heavens open and declare your BRILLIANCE!

hee hee hee!
Ok, seriously.
I love this idea, and as soon as I can, I will make these bad boys.
Today Cadbury Eggs.
Tomorrow...THE WORLD!

(seriously too much coffee...)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

This look so awesome! I would love to make these for my son's class! Thanks so much for the idea :)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Well, this is just brilliant! My boys love Cadberry eggs. These will be fun to make.

Lisa said...

Mmm, with a recipe like this you can enjoy these yummy treats year round. What a wonderful idea. I'd like to invite you to stop by and link them up to Sweets for a Saturday #10. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Valerie said...

This is dangerous! I love them too, but usually eat only one or two a year. Once I can use my willpower through the season, I am safe until next year. Now I can have them year-round. Uh-oh!!