Crock Pot Macaronni and Cheese

Thursday, March 08, 2012

There are a few dishes I'd like to conquer in this life....mac and cheese is one of them.  There are a lot of good variations out there, and this is probably the 12th recipe I've posted, but it's another good one, and the cool thing is....you can make it in a crock pot.  WHAT?  It's one of those dishes my family has at special dinners because we are...uhhh....classy like that, so anything that freeze up the oven and the stove is good with me!  This is really tasty. 
Crockpot Mac and Cheese Recipe
1 1/2 c. milk, 12 oz can of evaporated milk (I read if you use skim it will keep the egg and milk from curdling...I dind't have this problem, but there it is....), 1/4 c. butter (melted and cooled or it will cook the eggs), 3 large eggs, 1/2 t. salt, 3 c. shredded Italian blend cheese, 1/2 lb noodles of your choice (do NOT cook it in advance, it will cook in your sauce).  Black pepper, and 1/2 c. parmesan. 
Spray the inside of your slow-cooker with cooking spray.  Inside the pot combine milks, eggs, cooled butter and salt.  Whisk until smooth and then added the Italian cheese and noodles.  Sprinkle with black pepper, and stir to coat all the noodles.  Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese (I used more than it called for).  Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.  Reduce the temperature to low and cook for another 2 1/2 hours until the middle is set.  Again, I actually stirred it all together, topped with cheese, but before I cooked it I covered it and put it inside the fridge until the next day.  I just placed it on low for about 4 hours and it was yummy.  I just let all the cheese get warm and melty....and yum yum....YUM. 

2 comments

Brit said...

Yup. Definitely going to try this sometime soon. I love my crockpot and this looks amazing.

Three Birds Inspired said...

My sons and their families will be here on Good Friday and I needed something meatless and easy so I don't have to worry about cooking when I want to spend time with my grandchildren. This looks perfect...bag salad, homemade applesauce (from the freezer), cornbread and I am good to go! Thanks so much for posting!!