33 years of....

Thursday, July 19, 2012


The thing about a birthday is that it gives you a chance to stop and segment a portion of your life.  Reflect.  Revisit.  Beat your head against a wall.  Rehash.  Reminisce.  An individual New Year's Celebration. That’s all assuming you taking the time.  Assuming you still can remember a year….I can.  Mostly.  I was doing all the things above as I celebrated 33 yesterday.  I can’t remember the details of last year, but I remember the basic facts.  You know that feeling at the end of the roller coaster where you know you’ve just been through a lot, yet here you are pulling into the same station you left just awhile ago.? Safe.  Maybe ready to move on to the next ride.  Maybe ready to get back in line for that ride….just one more time.  There were big highs, scary drops, jerky turns, slices of calm, bumpy paths.  Here I am again.  Same station….sort of.  I feel like this is where I was last year, content with where I am, but ready for the next adventure.  Sort of.  Yet so much has happened.  So much has changed.  This may look very familiar physically, but I know emotionally I’ve arrived at a much different place this year.  I met people I’ll never forget.  People I get to  start this new birth year with.  I’ve met people I may never see again this year, but they have also shaped me for the better.  I ran.  That in itself was something new.  I ran a half marathon.  That in itself was a miracle.  I’m 4 clothing sizes smaller.  I chased a couple more gray hairs with my tweezers.  As if that works.  I said goodbye to one of my happiest pieces of the prior ten years, my dog Max.  I said hello to a precious Goddaughter, new family, and new job opportunities.  I said goodbye to a few hopes I had carried with me, but time and situations didn’t line up, and the pieces of those puzzles will have to wait until eternity.  I crossed off my 50th state.  I started my 11th year as a teacher.  I visited Brazil.  Twice.  I’ve started some new projects, ‘big’,projects I hope to be reflecting on in a year.  I’ve read.  I’ve written.  I’ve called friends.  I’ve flown so many times I no longer have it in me to feel anxious about flying.   Mostly.   I ate a lot of candy.  I had a cavity. Maybe two?   I watched Pride and Prejudice approximately 345,256,876 times .  This week.  I prayed a lot.  I cried a lot.  I cried about the answer to some prayers.  I sat in awe at the answer to prayers.  It was a year filled with family, and friends, first, and never agains.   In the end, no matter the ride, looking back-what a great year of growth.  Not all the growth spurts were easy, but I’m better for each one, and more ready to tackle year 33 than I would have been a year ago.  With all this prep work, I can’t wait to see what adventures await!  Where will this ride go?  I spent the day with family.  My Mom and I headed across the border....of Dallas, to Fort Worth.  I wanted a local adventure, so we explored some of the sites and stops. 
I spent the evening celebrating with extended family amongst phone calls and deliveries from friends, cake from Steins.  Above all, I know how blessed I am on my birthday and each day in between.  I feel spoiled by God, and I love every pictures and place He's brought me too, and the beauty and blessings He continues to write into my life. 
It was a great first day for a new year. 

3 comments

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday friend! I could really connect with what you said in your post. Let's have lunch soon!

Shane and Laine said...

Happy Birthday!!! 33 years and a wonderful person!

Donna said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your journey forward is a happy one!