Brigadeiros (Brazillian Chocolate Truffles)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012
 My chocolates didn't win any beauty contest, but one of my favorite foods I 'met' in Brazil when I went last year on a mission trip were the chocolate truffles.  I thought about them all year, and I can't say that's why I went back this year, but....it didn't hurt (more to come on this latest adventure on Monday).  Before heading to Brazil I was invited to a pinterest party, and we were all asked to bring a recipe we had been wanting to try....these were pinned via about.com.  So....that seemed like enough of an excuse for me.  They are super easy to put together and only require a few ingredients.  A little more patiences and these will hold up like round truffles as opposed to mine which were a little soft and conformed to the mini cupcake liners instead.  Oh well. 
So....if you want to try a little piece of Brazil here is the recipe for Brigadeiros.  And for a hot country, they sure know a thing or ten about chocolate.....I just want to know how to store hershey bars on the boat without them becoming s'mores by the time I attempt to open them, but.....that's another story....
Ingredients:  14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk, 4 T. cocoa powder, 1/4 t. kosher salt, 3 T butter, 1 t. vanilla, chocolate sprinkles. 
Instructions:  Pour the milk into a 2 quart sauce pan.  Still in the cocoa powder and salt.  Cook, stir continuously over low heat.  The mixture should be barely at a boil (I didn't get mine hot enough at first, but don't let it get so hot that it burns or gets sticky).  After about 10-15 minutes of stirring it should become thick and shiny and start to pull away from the bottom and the sides of the pan.  Remmover it from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla until it's combined.  Chill in the fridge for an hour.  Butter your hands (I just ended up scooping it up with a spoon and plopping it into the sprinkles.  Roll in sprinkles.  Place in paper liners.  Keep chilled.  You can make these several days ahead of time. 

2 comments

Shane and Laine said...

I'm on my way to come devour all of these please! Those look amazingly yummy!

Erin said...

I absolutely love brigaderos. They totally remind me of being down there! The chocolate down there is amazing!!! Love that you made these! Great job!