Whoopie Pies

Saturday, July 21, 2012
 I had a whoopie pie for the first time in Maine...I read it was something I was supposed to try.  I wasn't impressed.  Granted, I only tried one from some random store.  I knew it was a fluke.  It had to be.  Chocolate?  Cream?  That's practically a blessing from God.  I came home and I googled a recipe and I was right, it was a fluke.  Add whoopie pie to the list of things I love.  This recipe was so good....I can't even speak of it.  OK....maybe once, but then I'm going to knock my head against a wall until a forget because I can't have this sort of temptation in my life.  I want to eat them all. 
I googled recipes and found several recipes from allrecipes I put together.  For the cake....
Mix up a Devil's Food cake mix with all the ingredients it calls for EXCEPT, cut the water down to 3/4 c. (so, mine called for 1 1/2 c. water and I only used 3/4, plus I added the 3 eggs and 1/2 c. oil the recipe called for....this makes it thick enough it won't spread as it bakes and will be more like a cookie).  I also added 3 T. of flour, and a box of chocolate instant pudding (the small box).  I mixed these up and then I dropped them onto cookie sheets.  I made mine about the size of golf balls and it made 16 cookie sandwiches (32 cookies). 
Here the dough is wet.
 I baked these at 350 for 10 minutes.  If you make bigger cookies (these are usually larger according to the cookies I observed in Maine, so add an additional minute or two....they shouldn't look 'wet' in the middle when they are finished). 
 For the filled I mixed....
 1 T. of milk, a 7 oz tub of marshmallow fluff, 1/2 c. shortening, 1 t. vanilla, 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar.  I put it in a ziplock, snipped off the edge and filled the backside of a cookie. 
 Stack one on top for a pie.  I think the more filling.  The better.  The filling was de-licious.
Wrap each of these up in cellophane and store them in the fridge.  Now...I'm off to knock my head on that wall until this falls out of my memory.....it's that or take up ultra marathons.  I.  Love.  Whoopie.  Pies.

1 comment

Erin said...

I'll take three please! No, make that four please!