Mini Taco Bowls

Wednesday, October 03, 2012
 I love taco salad.  The deal is, usually when you order one, you get a ginormous floured bowl, which I can't resist.  Not only can you make your own, you can make them at home using tortillas with whatever calorie count you are willing to add to your diet plan.  I made small bowls to go with a taco meal, so perfect for bite size food for football games etc. 
Basically, heat up the tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds or so, just so it's often and will flop down a little over a muffin tin to curve down into the bowl shape you want.  You can use the bottom of a pan and stick this in the oven upside down for about 10 minutes at 350 (they will be browning around the side and firm when they are ready. 
 I had some stubborn tortillas, and I used a mini baking dish to stick over the tortilla and make an even deeper bowl. 
I used to buy 'kits' at the store that came with templates you could make and put in the oven....now I spend a dollar on 16 tortillas and save a few bucks, and have enough for friends. 

2 comments

Jo said...

Hi, Olivarez Family Angel. A few members of been begging for the huge kit seen around town for a few years. This mean wife and mommy said, "No", since they were huge and not practical for us. This will make a certain half Mexican man's heart leap with joy. Thank you !!

Mama Peck said...

How far ahead can you make these? I've got lots of family coming into town and am looking for things I can pre-prepare.