Fairy Play Tent

Friday, July 12, 2013
 I was eating at a tea room in a high end department store last Christmas.  I looked over and I saw this fairy tent that I fell in love with....right up until I looked at the price tag.  340 dollars....about 320 more than I was willing to spend.  It had a few window cut outs, a few more flowers, but these were the basic colors that I used to build this tent.  You see....I'd run across and tried this tutorial out a few years ago for my niece Blythe.  The instructions for making this tent (and I promise it's soooooo much easier than you can imagine) are here.  Basically, I bought two 4 dollar flat twin sheets from Walmart and went to work.  One goes around to create the curtains, and the other you cut into six triangles with a base of 22 inches and the sides are all 24.  You sew the 6 pieces together, then you sew the sheet to the base of those six triangles.  I add a ribbon to the top to hang, and I've added doodads to jazz it up (pennants, b/c I'm obsessed, and flowers in this case....because every pixie hangs out in the posies).
I made rose buds by cutting out petal shapes, and just folding them around each other, sewing the base, then I added ric rac to hang them from the top, and a little piece of green felt to cove up my mess....
 This is what they look like from the inside, I folded over a piece of scrap for the center...
 I just made four of these, mostly b/c I got bored and wanted to move on with my life...
 I also added these little posies on the side...again, I just stitched them together, then sewed them onto the tent.  Here is a pattern for these super duper high end posies.  Free to a good home.
 I found this cuuuute ruffled ribbon for 2 bucks (half off at Hobby Lobby) and added some trim in another fun color.
 ...notice I didn't even bother ironing the sheet.  I have to send this through the mail (I'm just going to tell mama to buy her own hula hoop and pretend like the packaging is what caused the wrinkles).
 I also added some tulle to the entry way...
 A cute little reading nook for inside or outside...add some pillows....a small being, and books...
 I created ties on the inside (instructions on the original post) and you can tie it to a hula hoop and untie it for washing.  Hula hoops come in all sizes....this particular one I put on a smaller hula hoop, but it stretches and shrinks as needed.  Now I'm off to make a pirate's paradise for my buddy Donovan...stay tuned.

1 comment

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! How cute is that?! Way to go!!!!