Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Monday, October 19, 2015
Eating a holiday meal with my family is sort of like the story of Goldilocks.  Everyone has their quirks.  Things they won't eat, will eat, expect to eat, never want to see again.  At most meals-my extended family=7, so I don't know if it's good there are so few considering all the special request, or if we were larger-people wouldn't get to be so picky.  I, of course, am not a single part of the problem (ha!).  So, the goal is always to find things everyone will eat, that actually taste good.  When my brother jumped off the vegetarian wagon straight into vegan -ville I refused to give up all those veggie casseroles.  Someone said they had seen a vegan green bean casserole, so I got to work thanks to hummusapian I have a tasty dish that meets at least one of the guest requirements.  I didn't let the others know it was vegan and everyone was happy.  It also make a TON, so my family has room to grow.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Ingredients: 1/2 c. cashews (soaked for 4 hours or overnight in the almond milk), 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk, french onions (I got a large can b/c we like these a lot),  2 lbs frozen cut green beans, 1 T  olive oil, 1 med onion (diced), 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 16 oz of mushrooms (chopped), 1/8 t ground nutmeg, 1 T soy sauce, 1/4 c dry white wine, ground black pepper (I used a substitution for the white wine-I know the alcohol cooks out, but my brother has been sober over 5 years now and doesn't even cook with it just as a matter of temptation)
Instructions:  Place cashews in the almond milk and soak for 4 hours or overnight.  When you ready blend with a food processor until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.  
Bring a large pot with 2 inches of water to a boil.  Add green beans to boiling water.  Cook over medium for 5 minutes (or until tender).  Drain and run cold water over the green beans to stop the cooking.  Set aside.
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions to hot oil.  Cook for five minutes and then add garlic and mushrooms.  Cook for ten minutes (stir often).  Add nutmeg, soy sauce, white wine, salt, and pepper.  Simmer for five minutes.
Stir in cashew cream and 1/3 c.+ of the french onions.  Stir in green beans.
Spread mix into large casserole dish and top with the remaining baked onions.  Back at 350 for 20 minutes.
*It says this serves 8, but I think you could squeeze in several more people!

No comments