Caramel Cookie Bars

Thursday, September 06, 2018


I like to eat icing with my icing.  In other words, I have a sweet tooth.  These bars are so sweet they even made me pucker in the best way possible.  The caramel centers reminded me of some toffee treats I had in Ireland, but the sweet cookie dough were all American.  This will definitely stay in my rotation.  I say caramel is the candy of September, but I think I can convince my theme loving self to let this recipe make an appearance in other months.  I found the original recipe at A Spice Perspective.

Caramel Cookie Bars
Ingredients:
Cookie Layer:  1 c. butter (softened, but not melted), 1 c. packed brown sugar, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 t. vanilla, 1 t. kosher salt, 1 t. baking soda, 2 1/2 c. flour, 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
Caramel Layer:    10 oz soft caramels (unwrapped), 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
Instructions:  
1.  Heat oven to 350.  Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil on the bottom and up the sides.  Spray it liberally with cooking spray.  
2.  Use an electric mixer to mix the butter and sugars until fluffy (about 2 minutes).  Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking soda.  
3.  Add the flour a little at a time.  
4.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  
5.  Press half the dough into the bottom of the pan.  
6.  In a medium sauce pan mix the sweetened condensed milk and unwrapped caramels over medium.  Stir until the caramels are melted and the filling is smooth.  
7.  Pour your caramel mix over the pressed cookie dough.  

8.  Drop the remaining cookie dough in small clumps over the top of the caramel mix.

9.  Bake for 30 minutes (until the center is set).
10.  Cool completely, lift the bars out of the pan with the edges of the foil and cut into squares.
*The original recipe says you can freeze these.  Thaw individually and eat them later.  As if any of these will make it to my freezer....



No comments