Graduation Gift: Pizza and (Root)Beer

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pizza and Beer...sort of a staple on college campuses around the world....minus my alma mater, of course ;o). But really, this present is rated G because there is a little Baptist girl in me that just insisted on the 6-pack of root beer....it helped that it was much cheaper than a 6 pack of beer.
My Mom needed a graduation gift to take to a party recently, and I have an ever growing stack of things I want to 'try out,' and there are only 365 days a year, and as many reasons to celebrate, which is about 203 less than the ideas in my craft folder. I decided to pull one out I've been wanting to try for awhile. As usual, I manipulated the project to meet the needs of the occasion, as opposed to looking for a project to fit the occasion. I saw this idea . They had the cute cinnamon bun-on-a-stick idea I took, and fed crack to until it became a gift, and I did the same with this idea. Crafts on Steroids-sorta my speciality.
for pizzas-on-a-stick on my new, imaginary best friends' website artisanbread

I also adapted their recipe for the pizza bites, but for the 'real version' hit the link above. Here is 'my version.' It's the easy way out. I'd say 'easy' is my middle name, but that just doesn't come out right. How about simplified?
MAKING THE PIZZA BITES
I BOUGHT a can of pizza dough, and spread it out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
I then grated about 4 oz of cheese (1/2 a block) over the entire dough.
I added two rows of pepperoni in a long line down the middle (this used up about half a package-so it would be REALLY easy to double this with another thing of pizza dough).
Leave space between the two rows of pepperoni (leave the cheese lines), which help all the dough stick together, and hold tightly in the rolls-on-the-sticks.

I rolled tightly, and I cut about 16 pieces 1/3-1/2 inch thick. I didn't get out my ruler.
I added this step: I sprayed the tops of each roll with spray butter (0 calories, because, obviously, calorie count is important to me, ha!....and it's easy). I then sprinkled the tops with garlic salt. This makes it pretty salty, but that's how I like it, but be warned if you don't, and adapt as desired!

I baked at 425 for about 10 minutes.
As soon as they came out, I poked bamboos skewers into each roll before they cooled. The bamboo skewers I found in the grocery section hanging on the end of an aisle, ready for summer cook outs. I cut them down a bit because they were a little long, but I liked having the 'pokie' end, it slid into the dough nicely. You could also use popsicle sticks or sucker sticks....I was just feeling really daring.

I then put little bags over each pizza bite so I could make a bouquet. I think life is best delivered as a bouquet. I also think life's events are best told in song, but I'll leave that for another time.
I tied off each bag with raffia, because I heart raffia...still....no new news there.

I got a metal can from the dollar section at Target, stuck some styrofoam from the dollar store in the bottom, and then poked my pizza bites down. I did super glue them into place since they'll be traveling with my Mom....I worry when other people deliver 'my crafts' that they the delivery 'person' won't know to rearrange the shifted product.

I attached a card. I'm going to write Greeting cards if this not-for-profit blog thing doesn't work out. You'll be able to get them two for a dollar at the dollar store, but still, they'll be mine. I won't claim them either, but still...mine.
My 'beautiful' graduation inspired poetry:
The attached card reads:
Instead of studying until 7 am, you'll head to work at 7 am.
Instead of taking out study loans, you'll begin paying student loans.
Instead of listening to the professionals, you'll be the professional others are listening to.
Instead of looking forward to summer vacation, you'll begin counting the days until retirement.
Instead of pizza and beer for dinner...
Never mind that one is pretty much universal no matter what stage of life you find yourself in.
"There is no facet, no aspect, no manner of life that can't be improved with pizza." Dario Morgendorffer
And thus completes another episode of-what I do at about 1 am on a work night. P.s. I think this would be a fun Father's Day Gift as well, AND we did a shower once at work for a 'guy' with the pizza, and root bear theme, and then Home Depot gifts, it was fun...just a little random aside.
Linking To:
Night Own Crafting
Trendy Treehouse
Just a Girl
Fun to Craft
UndertheTableandDreaming
UndertheTableandDreaming

21 comments

Lori said...

I'm back from out of town at graduations. How appropriate. Any your post was first on my dashboard. Perfect.

Unknown said...

Fun! What a great idea. The pizza rolls look delicious!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Great idea Christy! Yum - the pizza rolls looks delish!

Peggy said...

Awesome idea!! I think I'm going to do this as a Father's Day gift for my FIL, who is one of those has-everything kinda guy. ;0)

Jen said...

Where do you come up with this stuff?
This is the neatest idea,Man I wish I could cook...

Beverly said...

When I read your header I was really expecting to see a big round pizza with the beer however, I saw that round candy like thing and I wonder where the pizza is.. (funny).. I just love it. The idea of creating these pizza rolls was really brilliant.

Italian Pizza Coupons

Unknown said...

Hi, Christy.

I found you from your link on Night Owl Crafting, and I immediately followed you. I love this idea!!!

Cheers,
Laura

P.S. I would love for you to visit & follow me at http://www.paringdown.com

Marissa Paige said...

Oh my gosh, those look so good! Great idea! :)

Leslie said...

What a FABULOUS idea! I want to eat them right now!!!! Thanks for linking your craftiness to Hoo's got talent!

Tamber said...

I LOVE this idea for my kids this summer. I also love it for a kids Birthday Party.

Unknown said...

This is such a cute and clever gift! I used to make the pizza rolls for my boys when they were little but never thought of putting them on a stick They would have loved that. Great gift idea ;)

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great Job!!! Yummy!! WOW, that is an awesome idea, thanks for sharing. You are really talented. I saw your link on Sunday Showcase and I am your newest follower! Nice to meet you. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Bonnie

Erin said...

That is fantastic!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

I seriously love to see your creations each week! Super cute and creative. What a great gift! Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Christy! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your pizza bites later today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for linking to The Sunday Showcase! Hope to see you again next week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

I love love love the pizza bite idea. My children could survive on pizza alone and will love a new spin on their old fave! Lunch at our house just got a little more fun! Thanks for sharing!

a little bit of everything said...

What a great idea. I have done a similar pizza bite only backed as rolls in a pan but I love putting these on a stick. Definitely trying this!

Unknown said...

Such good ideas!
Thanks for sharing at last week's Anything Related!

kim west said...

i gave you an award at my blog

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

Kelsey said...

I love your blog, soo creative! I linked to your pizza pinwheels recipe on my blog, http://www.imwiththecoach.com/2010/07/pizza-pinwheels.html. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Very new interesting book. "You Have A College Degree, Now What?" What is everyone else reading this summer? http://www.amazon.com/You-Have-College-Degree-What/dp/0578044048/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281537622&sr=1-1